RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Cleaning up Audio files and tags

tbowland

I know this topic is out there in both the forum and podcasts in the past but I still haven't found the way to:

- Clean/Fix up my files

- Fix up my album art

- And keep it that way (who broke up my soundtrack into artist folders)

What is iTunes doing to my files.

I've tried a few. I think maybe it takes more then one app.

MP3Tag, Bliss, Smart Tag Fix, ID3 Cleanup.

I'm hoping for a lot of recommendations if you have time.

Are you using WHS2011 ? because there was talk that Windows Media Player will make changes to your metadata by default. You should run Windows Media Player on the server and go into options and make sure there is no check mark under, windows update my metadata, besides that, I use MP3 tag on my WHSv1.

MP3 tags can be really tricky depending on what software you use. Programs such as iTunes and Windows Media Player have their own way of tagging music which may not be universal. For example, although WMP will download and display album art, it doesn't actually add it to the ID3 tag and instead catalogs it in its own database.

Because of the inconsistencies, I opt to manage all of my tags manually by using MP3Tag since it uses the ID3 standard. I'm extremely picky when it comes to my music library and I've found that MP3Tag allows me full control over how my library is managed. Obviously it can be quite a task if you have a backlog of MP3's to tag (I myself have over 200GB of music), but if you do it on a regular basis as you acquire new content it can be one of the easiest ways to maintain a very clean and organized music library.

If you have an already existing library that you're looking to fix up and prefer not to do it manually, How To Geek has some great guides on how to clean up your library and obtain proper album art for it. Check out some of these links: Tag Scanner, MusicBrainz, Album Art Guide.

Before you do any of that, as John mentioned, WHS 2011 has a "feature" that automatically renames and re-tags any music stored on the server with information pulled from Microsoft's tag service. If you have WHS 2011, you'll want to disable this feature. We Got Served has a post on how to get this done and will also link you to the original KB article. You can find that here. You'll also want to make sure to disable any auto-tag features in your media player weather it be Windows Media Player, iTunes, or any other software you use.

Hope that helps!

• 1 year later...

I'd like to expand this topic and ask about folder management. I am ashamed of my music collection, not so much recent years but many years ago before I had 300gb of music I wasn't that thorough with organizing file structures and literally have music everywhere. What is the best way to organise this without setting there and being a recluse for close to a month manually sorting it all. Please, for my own sanity... Help?

There are a number of utilities to help automate it... but yeah....

If you want it all meticulously organized, tagged and sorted.... you could always send it to somebody that is OCD about that... Speaking of which... thanks for reminding me about the 50GBs of music I still need to tag in my incoming folder. I *may* be OCD about that. :) So you could send it to me..... :P

Hahaha, I have about 50GB sorted but it takes forever and i'm not that OCD (Hence how I developed this problem over the past 5 years to the mess it is now). Ideally somebody needs to create a program that fixes up id3 tags then organises/copies/moves to an artist>album>song directory structure. 

There are a number of utilities to help automate it... but yeah....

If you want it all meticulously organized, tagged and sorted.... you could always send it to somebody that is OCD about that... Speaking of which... thanks for reminding me about the 50GBs of music I still need to tag in my incoming folder. I *may* be OCD about that. :) So you could send it to me..... :P

I think that's the sneakiest way I've ever heard of to try to get someone's music files :ph34r: 

I ended up using media monkey to delete all the duplicate tracks we all have lying around from years of hoarding. I'm now using media monkey to copy all of the files into one single directory and name them via artist>song. I'll then work on a new file structure that'll use my previously organised files + organising the messy files i'm currently renaming (12,300ish renamed and copied out of 29,724) Taking ages. Before I sort them into the new file system i'll run one of those id3 tag programs to fix up any metadata inaccuracies as well. Ideally what i'd like now is a program that'll create folders for me based on the artist name.

My directory doesn't "need" to be super neat as I run subsonic as a gui front end + web access from anywhere in the world. It just needs to be neater than it is currently. I need to learn some programming languages, i'd of paid good money for a single program that'd do it all, as would many others i'd assume.

Edited by JayBee