RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

krom

Do any of you guys (or gals) use or have any recommendations for GPS apps for iOS? I heard Dave talk about Garmin's I think on a recent HSS and also Navagon which a friend of mine recommended. I wanted to see if anyone else has had any experience/recommendations. Any pros/cons vs. standalone GPS? My wife and I currently have a standalone that I ended up giving to her. Of course that leaves me out in the cold if I end up lost or in need of direction. So rather than getting another standalone I thought we'd invest in software for our iPhones instead.

Thanks for any advice.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

iPhones have a map program that shows you how to navigate. Only problem is it doesn't talk to you. There is a paid app that talks to you that is pretty good. If I can remember the name of it I will post it for you.

krom

@ITTOG thanks. Yeah talking would definitely be important and realistically I need it for the iPhone. The iPad would just not be practical for us.

pcdoc

I have been using Tom Tom. The iPhone is has always been pretty goood and now they have an iPad app. I really llike it and find it better than a dedicated portable. I still use the one built in to my car the most, but this is better than the hand helds I have tried.

yodafett

I use waze which is free and decent enough. Would like to try the garmin or navigon. Navigon is frequently on sale.

Joe_Miner

I use the Garmin 265WT. I prefer the stand along over a built in because I can get a new unit every few years when I want to upgrade maps and features easily. My son also uses the Garmin 265WT.

The traffic feature of the T series is very nice and very handy.

I have used the map app on the iPad and it is nice as long as you're in an area with good signals from cell towers. Out in the boondocks it's useless.

awraynor

Used built in GPS for Honda/Accord, built by Alpine I believe, it's terrible.

Motion X GPS for iOS has received a lot of positive reviews, although

I haven't personally used it.

ikon

using a Garmin Nuvi 2360, which reminds me, I haven't checked for updates in quite a while.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Dave
      By Dave
      I like this author but he seems to blame  MicroSD technology for user error. I used to love a phone that supported upgradeable storage but finally bit the bullet and went with a 128Gb Pixel XL and couldn't be happier.  No errors with the card, no worries with drops, and faster storage.
      Secondly, this all could have been avoided by locking the phone! No, you might not get it back, but your worries are gone, and scumbag thief has a bricked device. A good home warranty will replace that handset.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/moving-from-android-to-ios-lessons-learned-helping-with-a-transition/

The last two points I get. No arguments there.  Seriously folks. Upgrade from your old Galaxy S3, Ahem Avram Piltch, get a decent phone and a good home warranty coverage for your portables.

Read the rest of this article and pay attention to the Transition section. These points and many more make it VERY hard for me to consider an iOS device as my daily handset.
    • IndyLux
      By IndyLux
      I recently learned that the Surface does not have a GPS radio in it. Not a huge deal, but might have been nice.

My thought; why can't a tablet get GPS data from a smartphone? How cool would it be for our Surface to link to a Windows Phone (WiFi, blutooth, etc) to get GPS positioning data? That way, you don't need every technology in every device and they could share.

I suppose why stop there, let's get tethering for LTE data as well (please!?!).
      Microsoft should conisider subsidising the carriers with hopes that we will use that connection to buy XBox content and stream it.

Your thoughts?
    • Dave
      By Dave
      Polkast is a music streaming app and it's free for the weekend. iOS and Android

Features
      Play any playlist, album or song stored on your computer without device storage limits.
      Create new playlists on the go choosing from any song in your music collection.
      Shuffle through playlist, artist, album or your entire collection of songs -- rediscover old favorites!
      Listen offline as smart caching dynamically manages local storage.

Connect to one computer where your music is stored.
      Requires installation of the Polkast homebase, the free companion app that runs on the desktop computer where your music files are stored.
      Go to www.polkast.com on your home computer to get the free companion app.
      Supported OS: Windows 7, XP, or Vista; Mac OS X 10.6 or higher.
      The computer must be on, connected to the Internet and not in sleep mode to play songs not stored in cache.

iOS App Store
      Google Play store
    • mailman1988
      By mailman1988
      While thumbing through the iTunes store I ran across a Free App & software by MMSoft called PC Monitor
      http://www.mobilepcmonitor.com

After loading the program on your server/PC, it will securely report to your mobile device.
      Has anyone tested this on V1 or V2? or any other Server's?
      Thanks