RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

restore speeds

PJR_atl

I am looking for guidence on what can be done to improve restore speeds.

I am restoring 150gig and it looks like I am looking at >30 hours. The Machines are 1 gig e connected and it doesn't appear to be close to running at full drive speed. The bottleneck appears to be single threaded nature of the restore process.

Any ideas greatly appreciated

If you are doing a data restore, as apposed to OS, this is a known issue and there is nothing you can do.

If you are doing a data restore, as apposed to OS, this is a known issue and there is nothing you can do.

bummer so there's no chance of a turbo restore add-in?

As ITTOG says, restoring individual files and folders from the server to a client PC is slow, and a known issue. It's also been reported to Microsoft, and they've said that they won't fix it. I rather doubt that we'll see a Turbo Add-in from a third party, since it would have to delve deep inside the Microsoft client backup data, which is stored as file clusters, not as individual files and folders.

That said, I don't recall this being an issue with WHS V1, and on the surface at least, the client backup functionality is unchanged in WHS 2011. But it does seem as though Microsoft have broken something - and they are not going to bother fixing it.

If the data is on the server, why not just use something like RoboCopy or RichCopy to just copy it back over???????

@jmwills - either you or I are misunderstanding what the original poster's issue is. You are assuming that s/he is trying to copy data from folders on WHS 2011 to a client PC. I'm assuming that s/he is trying to restore data from a client PC backup to that client PC. These are not the same scenarios. In yours, something like RoboCopy can be used. In mine, that simply would not work.

@jmwills - either you or I are misunderstanding what the original poster's issue is. You are assuming that s/he is trying to copy data from folders on WHS 2011 to a client PC. I'm assuming that s/he is trying to restore data from a client PC backup to that client PC. These are not the same scenarios. In yours, something like RoboCopy can be used. In mine, that simply would not work.

you are correct I am talking about the client backup

This is one of the reasons I only use the PC backup to back up the C: OS partition of the clients; data is kept on a D: partition and is RoboCopied to the server by a Scheduled Task. I can always get my data, and if I'm restoring an OS drive I want to do the whole thing anyway. Whole drive restores apparently work just fine.