RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Password Not Working for Mediasmart LX-195

walterwood44

Sometime back my brother-in-law purchased an HP Mediasmart LX-195 and set it up. Once running they basically ignored it for a long time. Now they need some files from a backup but the password they had written down no longer gets them into the console.

I have tried many different combinations of upper, lower, etc. characters to open the console. I have also tried the username of Admin, admin, administrator and Administrator. So far I have had no sucess getting into their box.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get to the backups and data?

Thanks,

Walter

If it's WHSv1, I believe you can move the data pool drives to another computer and get the files. It's not supported by MS, but they say it is possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get to the backups and data?

Thanks,

Walter

Yes, you can get to your shares and your backup data base.

To get to the shares follow the instructions at:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/cf354b5d-b37b-4b7f-a0d...

Or try

http://www.mediasmar...ously-Restarts/

It's actually pretty easy to do once you know how.

====

Here's the important part from the link above:

.......to copy the data manually to a new location.

To do this:

• Attach the disks one by one to a Windows PC either via internal ports or using an adaptor cable USB to SATA/IDE. This PC can be one of the clients, or a fresh installed Windows Home Server. Do not add this disk to the storage pool, before you have copied all data to the server share or external storage. The already configured storage pool devices must offer enough free space to handle the data from the disk besides old client backups (which will be lost in such a recovery scenario).
  • In Control Panel of that PC open Folder Options.
  • On the View tab select Show hidden files and folders.
  • Click OK.
  • In Windows Explorer look for the DATA volume on the former Windows Home Server disk (including the D: drive of the former primary disk), which will usually have gotten a drive letter in the system. After opening this volume in Explorer you should see the hidden folder DE. (Be aware, that in configurations with multiple disks in the server this folder may not exist on each disk or be empty.)
  • Within the folder DE you should find a subfolder shares.
  • This contains parts or all (or none) of the data in the former shared folders or duplicates of this data (if Folder Duplication was selected).
  • Copy this data either to the new server installation by accessing the server shares through the desktop shortcut Shared Folders on server or to another storage location. Do never target the file system of drives belonging to Windows Home Server directly (i.e. d:\shares)!
  • Repeat this for each DATA disk.

Do not forget to check the consistency of data (can files still be opened, are they the most current version) before reusing the disks in the storage pool.

=====

To get to your Backup Data Base

Go to and print out the Microsoft technical brief.

Starting on page 13 the technical brief will tell you how backups are stored.

“The backup database is stored entirely in the folder D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\. The content of this folder is migrated by Windows Home Server Drive Extender from the primary data partition to a secondary data partition if the home server has more than one hard drive.”

Starting on page 24 the technical paper tells you how to save a copy of the backup database – unfortunately since you don’t know the password you are going to have to pull all the drives and copy the contents of D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} off of each drive. Essentially, you’ll be doing the copy of the backup data base manually. IMPORTANT! This section will tell you how to restore the backup data base files to you Server once you do a server restore and have re-established a new password [if you do a server reset – make sure you have copied off all of your shares from the hard drives FIRST!]

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Edited by Joe_Miner

OK, after reading what Joe posted, I set about to copy the files. In the process of doing this I discovered that I COULD log into WHS using remote access with the password I had been given. The problem is that I can not logon using the Connector and the same password. To explain what I am doing...

• I have a clean computer with Win7 installed.
  • I connect to the WHS box through a router (not on my regular network but with an Internet connection)
  • I start the install for the Connector software from the WHS box (which I can see through Windows Explorer)
  • The Connector software install runs to the point where it need the WHS password and then says that the PW I enter is wrong.

I have even changed the WHS password while connected remotely and also attempted to install the connector from the CDs that came with my OEM version of WHS Ver. 1.

Nothing works.

Any more suggestions?

Walter

You could connect a USB CD Drive to the server, boot from it, and use some commonly available password reset tools.

You could connect a USB CD Drive to the server, boot from it, and use some commonly available password reset tools.

At this point, I know the server password and can remote in and change it. What I cannot do is install the connector on a desktop so I can copy the files that were backed up.

Walter

I was talking abut the Admin Password. There are several tools out there but Dave might not want that kind of info posted here.

OK, after reading what Joe posted, I set about to copy the files. In the process of doing this I discovered that I COULD log into WHS using remote access with the password I had been given. The problem is that I can not logon using the Connector and the same password. To explain what I am doing...

• I have a clean computer with Win7 installed.
  • I connect to the WHS box through a router (not on my regular network but with an Internet connection)
  • I start the install for the Connector software from the WHS box (which I can see through Windows Explorer)
  • The Connector software install runs to the point where it need the WHS password and then says that the PW I enter is wrong.

I have even changed the WHS password while connected remotely and also attempted to install the connector from the CDs that came with my OEM version of WHS Ver. 1.

Nothing works.

Any more suggestions?

Walter

This comment has me confused. If it is on another network, the connector won't install because it can't find the server. What doesn't make since, is how are you rdp'ing into it? Did you set up a vpn for that?

This comment has me confused. If it is on another network, the connector won't install because it can't find the server. What doesn't make since, is how are you rdp'ing into it? Did you set up a vpn for that?

I have my own WHS on my LAN that has several desktops and smartphones. The WHS I am working on belongs to my brother-in-law and only one WHS can be on a network, so it is isolated on a seperate network along with with the Win7 desktop I am using to access it.

Not quite sure why since this WHS was on a different segment of my network, but apparently the Win7 computer was seeing the my main server and wanting that password. I turned my server off and was then able to logon to my brother-in-laws WHS.

Unfortunately what we were hoping to recoverfor was no longer there. Apparently it had been deleted by a former friend who had been given the password to help with their network. SOme time later he turned against them and is suing them. This is a good reminder to ocassionally change your passwords, especially when someone else has had access to them.

Thanks to everyone for all the help and suggestions.

Walter