RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS2011 vs Server2008 r2

Drexlock

Hello All,

I'm kind of curious to see which Server OS the Home Server Community prefers :) Im running both WHS2011 and a Server2008 Machine (running HyperV) in my home. I originally was only running Server2008 as both file server/hyperv/media streaming box and finally took the plunge with an additional WHS2011 box a few months back.

I must say I'm a little disappointed with WHS2011 compared to WHS v1, not so much because of Drive Extender but due to a lot of little things like the lovely Launchpad popup. (Yes, I know that there is a way to disable it with a script but really it should be a WHS Connector setting not a script). But ranting aside I am wondering what everyone prefers to run in their own homes for their own production servers. Im in the processes of moving back to a dedicated Server2008 Machine on its own but wanted to hear everyone else's thoughts as to which they really perfer or depend on.

On a side note I do run a mixed network (Windows Mac and Linux all playing nicely together) which is in a way influencing me to go back to Server2008 as I've had some odd issues with access from my linux and Mac machines to my WHS2011 Box.

Probably the biggest disappointment in WHS2011 relates to backup. It appears that WHS2011 will only backup 2 TB of data from all your clients, not 2 TB from each client. If you have more than a couple of clients this could be a major headache (somebody please correct me if this is incorrect).

For that reason, pcdoc and others are investigating the use of Acronis to do backups instead of the WHS2011 backup. If one uses Acronis, or some other backup utility, to do clients backups, then it begs the question "why use WHS2011 at all, why not simply go with Server 2008R2 and Acronis?".

Some people will say the streaming features still make it worth using WHS2011. I don't do streaming over the internet from my WHS2011 so this isn't a factor for me. Some may point out other features but I'm having trouble thinking of any at the moment.

About the only other 'plus' feature I can think of for WHS2011 is the price; $50 or so is a great price. Again, I don't need that because I use TechNet but it is about the cheapest price for a Windows Server that I can think of.

Some people will say the streaming features still make it worth using WHS2011. I don't do streaming over the internet from my WHS2011 so this isn't a factor for me. Some may point out other features but I'm having trouble thinking of any at the moment.

I've been doing some testing with Tveristy on my Server2008 box which seems to handle DLNA quiet well compared to the built in DLNA of WHS2011. I'm also looking into Plex which, at least for Android devices, can handle local and away from the home streaming with a pretty decent media palyer for each device.

One of the few advantages WHS/SBS gives you over Server 2008 is the Web Front End access. Unless, you feel like setting up all of that by yourself. I've recently built a new server with 2008R2 and I'm not sold on how to finish it. Right now the Hyper V role is installed which hosts a 2008 DC, 2008 Share Point Server, SBS Essentials, and a Win 7 Client.

My new ISP blocks Port 25 traffic so I will likely be staying with SBSE and using the Office 365 Add-In. Losing Port 25 really sucks.

Due to the limited features of 2011 and the bugs, I have stayed away from it. I am using v1 and s2008r2.

One of the few advantages WHS/SBS gives you over Server 2008 is the Web Front End access. Unless, you feel like setting up all of that by yourself. I've recently built a new server with 2008R2 and I'm not sold on how to finish it. Right now the Hyper V role is installed which hosts a 2008 DC, 2008 Share Point Server, SBS Essentials, and a Win 7 Client.

My new ISP blocks Port 25 traffic so I will likely be staying with SBSE and using the Office 365 Add-In. Losing Port 25 really sucks.

I never used the Web Access with v1 and I'm not with 2011 either. Like diehard I just RDP into my WHS boxes.

My ISP blocks outgoing port 25, but they offer an alternate (685 I think, I'd have to check to be sure). It allows me to use their server as an email forwarder.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• BacksBen
      By BacksBen
      Hello,
      I am using https://www.digi.com/products/networking/infrastructure-management/console-servers/digi-connect-it-16-48 (Digi Connect IT 16), and connecting by LAN to a Windows PC.
      I need to add 2 connectors. Can I connect a serial device to a serial port in PC and see it as a COM port in the local PC?
      Can Serial to Ethernet (https://www.serial-server.net/serial-device-server/serial-to-ethernet/) do this? How to configure it?
      Thank you,
      Ben.

• AllanHP
      By AllanHP
      Hello guys, i have a HP ProLiant ml350p g8 I had installed one gpu card rx580 strix and I had used one gpu frequency  management call asus gpu tweakll, when I change gaming mode to silence mode my computer restart and I saw one red light on the motherboard, I fix the problem I had installed one old version of the asus tweakll, now the computer works well, but the red light still on, I used the software OCCT I checked psu memory gpu voltages run many testes and pass in all tests, I try to find in the manual what this red light is but I can't find, thanks for the help.

• Dave
    • Dave
      By Dave
      The SDM R4 is SOLD OUT!

The SDM R4 is a bracket that facilitates mounting two additional 2.5″ drives in a HP MicroServer Gen8. There are also mounting holes for fans across the bottom to help cool RAID/SATA cards. The kit includes all the fasteners needed to install.

With optional Stackers you can run four 2.5″ drives on the SDM R4. The SDM R4 will support four 9.5MM 2.5″ drives. If you want to run four drives on the SDM R4, you need to order SSB stacking brackets listed below. One set of SSB per drive pair, four drives will require two SSB kits. Because of the size of the SDM R4, if you are going to boot your server using the internal USB port, you will need to use a USB stick that is shorter than 1″. For more information on mounting instructions look here: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5960-hp-ms-g8-25-drive-bracket-revision-history-new-rev-35-and-rev-4-info/?p=137922

The SDM R3.5 is in stock and ready to ship!

The SDM R3.5 is a bracket that facilitates mounting one additional 2.5″ drive in a HP MicroServer Gen8. The kit includes all the fasteners needed to install.
      With optional Stackers you can run two 2.5″ drives on the SDM R3.5. The SDM R3.5 will support two 9.5MM 2.5″ drives. If you want to run two drives on the SDM R3.5, you need to order SSB stacking brackets listed below. One set of SSB per drive pair. For more information on mounting instructions look here:  http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5960-hp-ms-g8-25-drive-bracket-revision-history-new-rev-35-and-rev-4-info/?p=137922

SSB-9.5 for 9.5mm drives $10

Schoondoggy Stacking Brackets can be used to stack two 2.5” drives. All screws are included

SSB-7 for 7mm drives $10

SOC-MSG8-R1 kit for 9.5mm optical drives to latch it in place. Screws included $9.

The SDM R4 is SOLD OUT!

• mskaggs
      By mskaggs
      Hi,  

Background: I had a WHS that I used as a backup machine for several PCs in my house. That one finally bit the dust a few years back with hard drive failure. Due to life I didn't rebuild it and when with an NAS for backup. 

As one of my client PC's drive was failing a few years after WHS crashed, I did a local back up of that PC to an external hard drive. I used the "backup" software that was on the PC and thought I saved myself. 
      Looking at that backup drive now, I'm seeing what appears to be a backup created by a WHS with references to multiple PCs from my home network. I can't find a restore program that can access those files properly and now I'm wondering if I need to try the WHS client restore app. Unfortunately, I don't have the CD's any more. 

So questions: 
      1. Is there a way to positively identify this back up as a WHS style backup? The top level of the drive has a file called QSM_VolumeID and a folder named DE. In the folder named DE are two folders named "folders" and "shares". There's also a file named DEguid. 

2. Is the client recover software from WHS V1 available anywhere for download? 
      Any other thoughts, ideas or help would be appreciated. Also, if there's another topic that addresses this, pls point that out as I'm happy to read to save everyone's time. 

Thx,
      Mark