jantanik

What is the best antivirus?

jantanik

Now a days there are lot of antiviruses available in the market. But only few of them helps us to give fast protection to the computer from viruses and many other security threats. I would like to hear from you all, what is the best antivirus that you are currently using?

GregHB

I typically use AVG, Avast or the aforementioned Microsoft Security Essentials on my personal laptops and tower. For my WHS, I have ClamWin running, just in case something slips through the scans on the other computers. I also have the BitDefender QuickScan extension installed on Chrome, however, I don't know how much that detects.

The federal agency I support runs Symantec. My wife's school used to run Trend Micro, but is now utilizing a McAfee suite. There is talk of them switching to a Symantec / Norton suite. Based on my familiarity with their products, I generally tend to like working with Symantec / Norton products, but I've been using them for the last 10+ years on-site at this agency.

Typically, for the computers that I build / modify, I use AVG, Avast or Security Essentials. There for a while, if AVG wouldn't install on a particular computer, I'd switch to Avast or vice-versa. However, I've not had that issue recently.

I also run Malwarebytes and Spybot on most of my computers.

Joe_Miner

I'm running the new MSE-beta on all my clients (desktop and 2 HTPC's and various VM's) except my laptop.

On my laptop I'm running NIS 2012. I consider my laptop as my most exposed and wanted something different on it -- figuring if something gets thru that the other machines in my net may be protected by different engines and definitions (seemed like a good idea anyway). Sort of a layered defense approach.

Recently on my V1 server I switched from McAfee to a test setup with Microsoft Forefront Client (FF) -- as best as I can tell FF and MSE use the same virus & spyware definitions. So far I've noticed a big performance difference between McAfee and FF on a production machine with over 3TB of data flying around. I've seen no problems with DE.

I'm running FF on my test server (2011, SBS 2011e) VM's.

Win8 seems to already have it built in haven't dug into that too much lately but hope to later.

At work we recently switched from McAfee to FF.

Edited by Joe_Miner

ikon

Basically I only run MSSE now, on the clients. I run nothing on WHS2011.

jmwills

Security Essentials.....period.

SikSlayer

Microsoft Security Essentials

This is the long as short of it. There's no need to think of any other.

tojoski

Security Essentials is definitely the best oft he freebies, but for I'm a big fan of the Eset products for a rock-solid, low-footprint solution..

I intended on doing a writeup of my Eset-Managed network, and I just haven't had the time.