RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
dvn

RocketRAID 2720 - controller failure

Jerry

I've had a WHS2011 and RocketRaid 2720 with Highpoint cables and four 3TB WD drives running for about a year. Last week the RAID vanished. No alerts or alarms other than WHS reporting the shadow directories could not be found. Logging into the RAID management utility, I couldn't find any errors. Tried to recover files, but all were lost. Noticed there were new bios and driver updates. Updated, initialized on WHS and a quick format and all is working again. Interesting, the RAID broke after I backed up some files the day before and pushed the storage over 3TB. Really spooked this thing could break again. Have a second WHS2011 with a Drobo and four 2TB drives. This one has run flawless for over a year.

WebmasterBjerke

Surely you could just buy better cables. How many different brands/models of cables have you tried?

It is mostly standard cables out there, but the SAS to SATA cables seams weaker than a normal SATA cable regarding shielding.

I put more info about raid problem on my page here:

http://www.webmaster-bjerke.no/main.php?side=raid

Second part of the page is in English.

ikon

I must say I've never had issues like you describe. I do stick with cables 1M long or less. At work I've had large numbers of drives connected to a single card, but they're usually in cages. At home I don't think I've had more than 5 drives connected to a single card. But, I've never had an issue with a RAID setup that I could trace to bad cabling. I've had single SATA cables give me trouble, but not SFF cables. It's interesting to hear your experiences.