RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

ESXi 3930K motherboard

Tech-Hedz

Does anyone know of a configuration that will work. I am looking at the following below but I do not know if it will work for sure as I know ESXi can be picky.

Intel Core i7 3930K

ASUS P9X79 PRO - motherboard

Crucial memory - 24 GB DDR3

Sony 24x DVD±RW

6 WD Caviar Black 1 TB Drives - SATA-600 running in raid 5

XFX Radeon HD 5670 - graphics card

Thermaltake Level 10 GT - full tower

Corsair Professional Series HX850W - power supply - 850 Watt

Intel PRO/1000 PT Dual Port Server Adapter

LSI MegaRAID SAS 9260-8i

Edited by Tech-Hedz

The VMWare forums hold a wealth of information. The SBS 2011 board in my signature will run ESXi as well as the one labeled Main Desktop.

Hi,

To me it look like you are going to have a combined server and gaming PC, is that right?

At lower level gaming and if the server is not very loaded, i.e. transcoding, recording, media streaming it might be workable, but if you want to play FPS like BF3 or MW3 it would be better with separate machines.

Just my 5 cents

/Grunt

No onboard graphics...but not a big deal. For what that board cost it should do everything and make the morning coffee.

It's not for gaming. This is for a server for a University. We are just doing a custom build rather then buying a server with the same hardware cause that would end up with triple the cost plus the I7 3930k systems are not out yet. The video card was recommended as a cheap card for 100 bucks. I went with a decent motherboard cause it was recommended for the build on another site for ESXI but the guy has yet to test it. As far as the LGA2011 socket boards there are not a ton and this one should function according to it specs. The case has 6 hot swappable bays which we have 6 drives, 1tb drives for. The server will be running VMware Esxi With Windows Server, basically for webhosting and running databases. There may be some video and audio streaming as well. What else would everyone recommend to make it a better server box, as Server Grunt says it will not be a great server. Our current servers are way under those specs, so I thought this would be a good build.

Edited by Tech-Hedz

It's not for gaming. This is for a server for a University. We are just doing a custom build rather then buying a server with the same hardware cause that would end up with triple the cost plus the I7 3930k systems are not out yet. The video card was recommended as a cheap card for 100 bucks. I went with a decent motherboard cause it was recommended for the build on another site for ESXI but the guy has yet to test it. As far as the LGA2011 socket boards there are not a ton and this one should function according to it specs. The case has 6 hot swappable bays which we have 6 drives, 1tb drives for. The server will be running VMware Esxi With Windows Server, basically for webhosting and running databases. There may be some video and audio streaming as well. What else would everyone recommend to make it a better server box, as Server Grunt says it will not be a great server. Our current servers are way under those specs, so I thought this would be a good build.

I'm really surprised to hear it would cost 3x as much to buy it pre-built. Is that for exactly the same components?