RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Backup Data Base

Joe_Miner

In Version 1 --

The backup database is in folder {00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}

Drives 0, 1, & 3 the data is recoverable while Drive 2 was toast (and has been RMA'd)

Do I need the data from all 4 drives from this folder for the backup database to be recoverable (i.e. copied into the new folder on the new WHS-V1 installation)

I'm looking for input from someone who has actually tried this.

Thanks!

If you used BDBB then yes. Otherwise, toast.

BDBB is great, but you can of course backup manually as well, which is what I do, using RoboCopy to back up the backup folder. You do have to stop the backup service WHSBackup and drive letter service PDL before copying, and restart them afterward, but it's a pretty simple batch file routine.

In Version 1 --

The backup database is in folder {00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}

Drives 0, 1, & 3 the data is recoverable while Drive 2 was toast (and has been RMA'd)

Do I need the data from all 4 drives from this folder for the backup database to be recoverable (i.e. copied into the new folder on the new WHS-V1 installation)

I'm looking for input from someone who has actually tried this.

Thanks!

Thanks for everyones great ideas and input. I do use BDBB but was specifically wondering about the database that was on the server when it was hammered (I have my theory or speculation on the cause) and killed it.

I've recovered data from 3 disks and the data looks surprisingly complete for specific PC's/Clients that were backed up so I had thought it might be possible that someone might have tried seeing if the backups for a specific Client could be recovered. I would try this myself on my test VM but alas I didn't have enough extra storage on my VM to give it a shot so I'll save my files till HD's get cheaper and I have a little more work space to try this. :)

I admit MS's white paper that BDBB is based on is not too encouraging.

I had thought that maybe some one had tried this before but I guess not or else without success. :(

On a happier note my server is up an running and StableBit is assuring me everything is great. It's great having backups - but I probably couldn't have done the rebuild without suggestions from Diehard!

BDBB is great, but you can of course backup manually as well, which is what I do, using RoboCopy to back up the backup folder. You do have to stop the backup service WHSBackup and drive letter service PDL before copying, and restart them afterward, but it's a pretty simple batch file routine.

I thought you switched to WHS 2011 last spring. Why would you be trying to use BDBB?