RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New HTPC/Light Gaming Build

thobel

Wow, that's a monster HTPC. Do you do any rendering/transcoding? If so, it should fly with that box.

Nope It was a Im bored and want to build something build to be honest. All it does is feed media from a WHS does it great but 1000% overkill for what I need. All the streaming etc is done by Orb on the server (2600K 30TB). I'm actualy waiting for a Boxee Box to test out. I may dump all my HTPC's (3 of them) if they work well.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

The Boxee Box plays well but the interface isn't nearly as nice as MCE. I plan to get rid of my Boxee and get another Xbox.

The Boxee Box plays well but the interface isn't nearly as nice as MCE. I plan to get rid of my Boxee and get another Xbox.

Interesting I installed the Windows version of Boxee and found it to be pretty nice. Not amazing or anything but seems very easy to use (girlfriend friendly) I noticed that other then patches etc I never use my htpc outside of MCE/Media Browser. I ordered one to play with and see how it works with the gf. What method do you use for the xbox? just normal MCE? I tried that but even on my HTPC it chokes biigtime on large collections.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Interesting I installed the Windows version of Boxee and found it to be pretty nice. Not amazing or anything but seems very easy to use (girlfriend friendly) I noticed that other then patches etc I never use my htpc outside of MCE/Media Browser. I ordered one to play with and see how it works with the gf. What method do you use for the xbox? just normal MCE? I tried that but even on my HTPC it chokes biigtime on large collections.

The enterface is easy to use, just limited compared to others. I don't care for it much.

I use the standard MCE on my xbox. Of course I have MyMovies so that improves the interface some.

The enterface is easy to use, just limited compared to others. I don't care for it much.

I use the standard MCE on my xbox. Of course I have MyMovies so that improves the interface some.

Do you know if with Boxee I can make multiple Videos catagories like

Movies

3D Movies

Music Videos

etc

I dont want to have home videos, music videos etc lumped in with normal movies

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Do you know if with Boxee I can make multiple Videos catagories like

Movies

3D Movies

Music Videos

etc

I dont want to have home videos, music videos etc lumped in with normal movies

If you can, it isn't through the standard load. Through it, you just navigate to the folder the movie is in and select the file you want to play. So I guess it would be separated if you have the separated in the folders. Now there may be an app that will do what you ask but I haven't seen it. I view the Boxee as a streamer with the ability to get to files on your computers viea a windows explorer type interface.

If you can, it isn't through the standard load. Through it, you just navigate to the folder the movie is in and select the file you want to play. So I guess it would be separated if you have the separated in the folders. Now there may be an app that will do what you ask but I haven't seen it. I view the Boxee as a streamer with the ability to get to files on your computers viea a windows explorer type interface.

So I got the Boxee Box setup and Intstalled in my guest bedroom. So far its pretty nice I'll list out some of the Pro's and Cons

Pros:

Super Easy to use

Small Foot Print

Low Power

Nice Interface

Remote is great

Cons:

Importing Media took much longer then Boxee on a PC (24 hours)

Speed is acceptable but not as "snappy" as on my HTPC

Well it's not a PC so Kids can't do stuff like Browse the web and Video Chat with friends etc

Builtin Wireless does NOT support 5ghz Wireless (had to buy a D-Link Wireless Bridge)

Overall I would say its a very nice streamer for the price everything has worked flawless with playback for me so far. Big bonus is the tech challanged will have no problems using it. If it had a webcam and an app for whatever my kids uses for chat would be even better. i'll stick with dedicated HTPC for my Livingroom but for the bedrooms I think I'll have 2 HTPC's for sale soon