RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hard Drive slower than network?

RonZimmerman

I have a 1 Gb Cisco Linksys E2000 Router network router and 1 Gb ports using the Realtek PCIe GBE Family controller. I have 2 Sandy bridge Win 7 computers connected over Cat 5e. I have a hard time getting 125 GB or anywhere close to that when I transfer video files. It might start transferring at 90 GB but will drop to around 60- 70 before it is done moving a 6Gb WTV file. I have a Samsung HD103SJ 1 TB in one computer and a Samsung HD204UI/Z4 F4EG 2 TB SATA2 5400rpm 32 MB in the other. I've tried changing cables and even connected the computer directly with a crossover cable and no router, but the speed still isn't near 1 Gb. I'm thinking the bottleneck is the hard drives. I'm reading about benchmarking software like SiSoft Sandra,HD Tach, HD tune, and Crystal Disk mark. I'd like to see what my hard drives can do. Any ideas? I don't really want to buy the benchmarking software since I'm only troubleshooting the slow LAN speed and probably won't use it again.

What about the speed moving say a gig of smaller files using say robocopy. Windows explorer is horrible for large amounts of data transfer.

That's why I come to this forum. I had no idea Win Explorer would be slow and I have never heard of robocopy (although I did watch his brother, robocop). I'm on the road now, but will try this this weekend, thanks.

One other thing you could try is to isolate the network from the router. Get a gigabit switch and connect it to the router and connect all devices to the switch, not the router. Just a thought.

Keep in mind that you will get no where close to 1Gb/s transfer rates. My bet is your 5400 rpm drive is your limiting factor.

One other thing you could try is to isolate the network from the router. Get a gigabit switch and connect it to the router and connect all devices to the switch, not the router. Just a thought.

He used a crossover cable so he did isolate himself from the network.

I thought the hard drive might be the bottleneck. Can I use one of the benchmarks to test the max Hard drive speed and what should I look for?