RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Spontaneous Reboots

brwd09

I have personal experience in this department--with the PSU, that is. I had a desktop a few years back that would reboot from time to time. Event Log showed nothing, other than the "The previous system shutdown at <date/time here> was unexpected. No blue screens, no memory dump files. I ran memtest86, a very handy utility. Sometimes I'd get a reboot during that, however, even though the tool never reported an error.

Interestingly, on one of the reboots, I thought I heard something. A day later, I heard it again, just as the machine rebooted. It sounded like a little zap, or buzz, and it came from the PSU. Replaced the PSU, and the problem was history.

The last time I heard that noise come from a PC was right after Matt knocked a glass of milk into his computer and right before a small fire (black marks on the case and smoke makes me think it was). I put the fire out by unplugging the PC. I was in high school then and computers were expensive.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• brwd09

• cclayton

Top Posters In This Topic

You know there is a memory test tool that comes with windows 7. If you search for Windows Memory Diagnostic you can reboot into the test. Press F1 to get the advanced options.

I wasn't aware of this. Do you have any idea how it compares to memtest86? It's just that memtest86 has been such a stalwart of the industry for so long; wondering if the MS version adds anything new or better.

Advance Memory Diagnostic can be accessed by either method.

Start -> "memory"

Start -> "mdsched"

I believe one runs in windows the other at boot. It is also part of the PBE on the install/repair disk as well.

Nothing better about it. Its just a different diagnostic. If I'm testing RAM I'll run both.

Edited by no-control

Start -> "memory"

Start -> "mdsched"

I believe one runs in windows the other at boot. It is also part of the PBE on the install/repair disk as well.

Nothing better about it. Its just a different diagnostic. If I'm testing RAM I'll run both.

Says you have to reboot to run it, so it must be a boot time scheduled task. Nothing wrong with that, just interesting.

I wasn't aware of this. Do you have any idea how it compares to memtest86? It's just that memtest86 has been such a stalwart of the industry for so long; wondering if the MS version adds anything new or better.

I am not sure if it is better then memtest86. I have used the older Microsoft one and memtest86 before. Microsoft claims there are several methods to testing memory locations and there download tool tested all of them. I haven't used the one that comes in windows 7 yet, but I think it is just a new version of the one you could download from there site.

I do like that microsoft is adding testing tools to windows even if they are hidden. Gives me something to test with If I forgot a usb key with test software on it, or want to talk mom threw it on the phone.

Start -> "memory"

Start -> "mdsched"

This is not a bad approach one might do something different then the other.

• 4 weeks later...

I am sorry that I have been away for a whle and never got aound to letting you all know what has happened with this proleem. I did run memtest and SpinRight and neither turned up any problems. I finlly decided to no RAID the drives and I built the server with just the 4 drives in the whs v1 array. As long as the server is accessing only one drive at a time there does not seem to be any problem. So I do beleive that the problem is with the PSU. It seems that the PSU can ot handle etended drive access of all 4 drives at th same time. I do not have a power meter so I can not measure what it is rdrawin when it is acessing all of the drives, but apparently it is too much for tis PSU.

So I have my server runing and I have been able to move all of my data to it. Eveything seems to be working fine.

Thanks again for all of your help