• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• brwd09

• cclayton

Top Posters In This Topic

Seasonic single rail would probably be my first choice. 500W is plenty for your setup IMHO -- if you like you can check out Newegg's PSU calculator -- their calculator runs high IMHO so their calc would give you a good number with plenty for expansion :)

Just a small note: PSU's are most efficient when running at approximately 50% of their max capacity. Try to estimate what your average load will be and buy a PSU twice that power.

Just a small note: PSU's are most efficient when running at approximately 50% of their max capacity. Try to estimate what your average load will be and buy a PSU twice that power.

Over the operating range it's largely irrelevant with a reasonable quality PSU. I'm obsessive compulsive but even I wouldn't design a build to ~50% utilization unless I was factoring in a lot of expansion later OR Seasonic was having one sweat sell on the big boys. :)

Over the operating range it's largely irrelevant with a reasonable quality PSU. I'm obsessive compulsive but even I wouldn't design a build to ~50% utilization unless I was factoring in a lot of expansion later OR Seasonic was having one sweat sell on the big boys. :)

I hear you, but I do believe that buying for 50% load will make the PSU last much longer than it would otherwise, Combined with the relative small extra cost to buy more capacity, my belief is that it pays in the long run.

This is a server. If you're not using a video card I think you'd be hard pressed to find a PSU that wasn't rated for at least twice your load. My server with 9 hard drives, a BluRay burner, i5 overclocked, 16 GB ram and 6 fans (not including Corsair H70) and two extra PCI NICs plus RAID card uses 90-110 watts. Peak I've seen is 158 watts. How many PSUs less than 300 watts are sold these days?

More likely is to overbuy your PSU thus not getting the bronze/silver/gold rating at 25% or lower usage.

This is a server. If you're not using a video card I think you'd be hard pressed to find a PSU that wasn't rated for at least twice your load. My server with 9 hard drives, a BluRay burner, i5 overclocked, 16 GB ram and 6 fans (not including Corsair H70) and two extra PCI NICs plus RAID card uses 90-110 watts. Peak I've seen is 158 watts. How many PSUs less than 300 watts are sold these days?

More likely is to overbuy your PSU thus not getting the bronze/silver/gold rating at 25% or lower usage.

I wouldn't be surprised by that. I was simply talking about the principle. In his case it may mean buying the lowest capacity PSU he can find.

If I am looking at the right one, your PSU "should" have enough power and 12V supply to run that system "assuming" there is nothing wrong with it. My bet is still on the PSU even though it may rated correctly, I would try a better supply (stay away from anything with an 80mm fan sitting the back). If I had got $10 for every time I got burned by a PSU, I could buy another system. Good luck and keep us posted.

Link to substantiate this?