RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Can't get xbox extender to connect to WHS 2011 shared folder

eagle63

This is really stumping me. :( I recently setup a WHS 2011 box. (was previously using v1) I also have an HTPC in my living room (which is connected to WHS) as well as a couple of xbox 360's I use as extenders. For some reason my xbox's won't connect to the "movies" folder on my WHS, which is where I have a bunch of ripped/transcoded movie files.

The extender's CAN connect to the recorded TV folder on the WHS as well as the Videos and Music folders. In fact, everything else about the extenders works perfectly - it's only the movies folder that it can't connect to. I really suspect that this is a permissions problem, but here's what's strange:

- I have the guest account enabled on my WHS

- I'm sharing the Movies folder with guest (read/write) as well as the HTPC that the extenders connect through

Does anyone have any ideas or troubleshooting tips? My understanding was that as long as I enable the guest account I should be fine. But obviously there's something else going on here. Thnx for any help!

Try and create a dummy account instead of "guest". Create one account with read/write access such as "XBOX" with a password. Try that on your xbox and see if that works.

The only permission that could prohibit sharing would be a deny which trump all. I would try to reapply the permissions to the trouble folder and go at it again. Try using 'Everyone" with Read permissions as the extender really does not need write permissions.

Thanks for the help guys, but I figured it out. I looked at sharing properties on the music and videos folders (since the xbox is able to access those) and compared that to the movies folder. (not the sharing settings in WHS, but the actual sharing properties on the folders themselves via file explorer) Interestingly, they were all identical except for 1 thing: The Videos, Music, and Recorded TV folders all had a user named "Mc-HTPC" (with "custom" access), whereas the Movies folder did not. "Mc-HTPC" is not a WHS user, but I believe it refers to the media center extenders. ("HTPC" is the computer name of my HTPC, and the "Mc" part I assume means Media Center) I manually added an Mc-HPTC user to the Movies folder with Read access, and now everything works fine - I can stream ripped movies using my extenders. Also, turns out the guest account had nothing to do with any of this. Enabling or disabling it has no effect on the extender's ability to access those folders. I've now disabled the guest account and everything still works fine.

My current theory: I think when you install the windows media center connector for WHS, it must side-step the WHS sharing settings add that additional user to the Recorded TV, Music, and Videos folders - since I think it assumes those will be needed by any extenders. The Movies folder is one that I created myself into which I put my ripped movies. I think Microsoft maybe assumes that most users will never need their extenders to access any WHS folders other than those default ones (recorded tv, music, videos) so therefore if you create your own (like I did), then you need to manually add that user. I kinda get the impression that extenders might be treated as a special case when it comes to user permissions, since they aren't covered by the guest account, and also because they don't access the WHS directly - I believe they route through the main media center box first.

Anyway, that was a weird one - hopefully this will be useful to someone else. Thanks again all,

Good result.

Your last point is correct, an extender must interogate a WMC machine, which WHS does not support.

If you creat a "movies" share (not the default "videos") then I guess it stands to reason that you would have to share that manually.

I may be having the same problem but adding the user MC-[HTPC NAME] didn't help in my case. I have the exact situation as you except that I am using v1 for my server. Do you remember the error you were getting? I didn't have MC-[HTPC NAME] in the music, photo's, or other WHS created folders either. All I saw in it was RO_# and RW_#. The # was different for each folder as well. I have no idea what these are? I tried adding it to the movies folders with full access but it didn't work.

I guess my situation is a little different. I use MM4 it it gives me the following when I select the MM4 Movie folder. I don't even get into the screen showing my movies. It all works fine on my HTPC.

FILE CONNECTION FAILED

My Movies could not connect to the file

storage on the server. Please open the

Collection Management program to correct

the problem.

[ OK ]

Did you have to reboot your server or HTPC after adding the user?

Makes me wonder what would have happened if you'd created the movies folder inside the videos folder.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure all would have worked fine if I had done that. In fact, I'm sure that's what I should have done.

I may be having the same problem but adding the user MC-[HTPC NAME] didn't help in my case. I have the exact situation as you except that I am using v1 for my server. Do you remember the error you were getting? I didn't have MC-[HTPC NAME] in the music, photo's, or other WHS created folders either. All I saw in it was RO_# and RW_#. The # was different for each folder as well. I have no idea what these are? I tried adding it to the movies folders with full access but it didn't work. I guess my situation is a little different. I use MM4 it it gives me the following when I select the MM4 Movie folder. I don't even get into the screen showing my movies. It all works fine on my HTPC. FILE CONNECTION FAILED My Movies could not connect to the file storage on the server. Please open the Collection Management program to correct the problem. [ OK ] Did you have to reboot your server or HTPC after adding the user?

Yeah, I think your case might be a bit different than mine. I don't remember my exact error message, but it was something to the effect of "cannot connect to //MYHOMESERVER/MOVIES/Star Wars.mkv". In fact, I recall trying to manually add the path to the movies folder from my extender (via the media center settings) and it immediately told me it couldn't find the path.

Now, one thing your question reminded me of was a different (though similar) problem I had once back when I was running v1 with My Movies 3. Check out this thread: http://www.mymovies....g=posts&t=14401 Specifically the part about manually adding the media center group to the permissions for the MM File Storage folder. I had this exact problem and adding that permission fixed it for me. I have a hunch that might be what's affecting you.

Oh, and I've never needed to reboot anything after changing permissions.

Edited by eagle63