RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
geek-accountant

Has WHS failed me again?

ikon

Certainly Disk Defragmenter is affected if you have too little free space.

jmwills

Affected as in "will not run"

ikon

:D If it's too low, yup. If you have 15-20% it just slows to a crawl and you have to run it multiple times to get a complete job.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I think Microsoft has a rule of thumb that 80% of a drives capacity is consider to be full, or a better way to say it is performance is affected after crossing that threshold.

Thats always how I have managed it. I just stay away from that threshold.

msawyer91

Thats always how I have managed it. I just stay away from that threshold.

Oh yeah, that is a threshold that makes me nervous. I've found you can push it to 10% if you move the paging file to another disk, which usually isn't a problem in a multi-disk system. Many/most laptops only support one internal disk, short of buying an optical drive replacement tray to swap out the BD/DVD, so this really isn't an option for many laptops. I'm lucky with the HP dv7-4280us laptop I have, which has two bays plus the Blu-ray. This worked out nice, because I could put in a 128 GB SSD to run Windows and all the applications, with the 750 GB HDD holding all the data, search indexes and of course, the monstrous page file that Windows thinks I just have to have, despite having 8 GB of RAM!

If you hook the paging file up with a new home, you can get away with 10% but I wouldn't push beyond that.

ikon

If you hook the paging file up with a new home, you can get away with 10% but I wouldn't push beyond that.

True, but my own feeling is that drives are cheap enough today (well, they will soon be cheap enough again we hope :) ) that it's better to simply replace the drive with a bigger one rather than fool around with the 80% full limit. Course, that can be a problem if you're using an SSD.