RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
geek-accountant

Has WHS failed me again?

duanealleman

I have the same problem as geek-accountant - The only thing I have not done yet is a fresh install of WHS2011. I recently bought a 3TB external drive to backup the server, but now I think I will be transferring all the files from the server shares to this and doing a reinstall.

Geek-accountant - are you using dedicated hardware or is your install virtual? My install is virtual, but I am thinking about moving back to dedicated hardware.

geek-accountant

I am using dedicated hardware. I tried it as a virtual machine, but ran into some issues and decided to run it as a standalone machine. Right now I just have too many things going on to work on it unfortunately.

Aussie

All ... interesting thread ... Geoff Coupe has also done a lot of research on backups ... but I agree with the general trend stated here. We are looking for a Home Server (like V1) ... and instead we are being converted into "IT" guys (the dark side). The WHS 2011 backup system is too complex, too difficult to understand and runs into too many problems, too fast ... most of these issues are waaay beyond the home user - and many issues appear to be beyond us (mainly due to poor (or no) documentation.

I will continue to try to work out what is going on ... If I work it out ... I'll post it.

mrossco

Interesting dilemna. Here's my thoughts...

1) I use the libraries feature of Windows 7 to add the Photos and Music folder on WHS to each user's profile. Everyone except my wife and I have read-only access.

2) In the Documents WHS folder, I create subfolders with each user's username. The Administrator account has access to everything. Everyone else only has permissions to their own stuff. Each of these network locations is set as the default write location in each users' library.

3) With this setup, backups are lean and mean. There are still files that are local to each PC, but the biggest offenders, photos and music are centralized on the server. I back them up between 2 hotswap 2TB drives that go back and forth to the office for offsite storage. I use synctoy to copy the files over instead of the built-in backup.

@Geek-Accountant. Is it remotely possible that some mass editing of all your photos is somehow consuming your backup space? I'm scared of running into the same issue if it really is a WHS bug...

fredp1

Here is my thoughts on what I've seen with geek-accountant's problem with backups...

1) the cleanup job cannot performs its task due to Zero disk space. I've noticed the same issue with my setup when I ran out of space. I simply moved the client backup folder to another drive and ran the cleanup task. The cleanup task creates some new files before it starts to delete some of the backups, but not all of them. So if you have zero free space nothing appears to happen.

2) the cleanup task appears not to remove incomplete backups. I'm not 100% sure, but it's just a hunch. If you do have any incomplete backups then you can manually remove them, then run the cleanup task. This I have tested and reduces the client backp folder size. Here is a link to a nice article http://usingwindowshomeserver.com/2011/12/21/how-to-on-the-spot-cleanup-of-unwanted-pc-client-databases/

At one stage I too had doubts about the client backups cleanup task so deleted the contents of the folder and have started agin. I've kept a close eye on it and have noticed when a backup fails the data just gets left behind. Time will tell when I get a few months worth of backup.

geek-accountant

Well it has been several weeks, or more, and nothing has changed. I even removed two of the computers that back up to the server and still no free space. The computers appear to be removed and they are not included in the archive section. So I think fredp1 has a good idea that the cleanup process will not work when there is zero space free. I have not had time to really dig into this and correct the issue, yet.

mrossco, I am sure my system is a big part of the problem. I have a lot of photos and add as much as 20gig a week in addition images. As i build my new desktop computer, I am actually going to remove my computer from WHS, at least at first. I think I am going to change my layout to only have WHS backup the OS drive and then use Windows built-in backup process to backup the data drives.

geek-accountant

I think the zero disk space issue with the clean up process may be the problem. I have now removed 3 more computers from the backup group, ran cleanup and still ZERO space free. I think I will manually delete the entire contents of the backup folder.

fredp1

If you have the free space on a spare disk, move the backup folder to that drive, then run the cleanup. Then you can move it back with hopefully lots of free space.

geek-accountant

I didn't have another disk with more space than the 2tb drive the backups where on. I have now manually deleted (through Windows Explorer) all the backups and started them all over again.

ikon

Got my fingers crossed for you :)