RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
geek-accountant

Has WHS failed me again?

geek-accountant

With no space free, now none of the PC's in the house are backing up. I have marked almost all of the backups for deletion, ran the cleaner and still no free space even though the backups are no longer listed. Short of removing each PC and losing the initial backups, any ideas how I can get free space back? Backing up my PC's is the only reason I use WHS and if it can't do that, it is of no use to me.

jmwills

jmwills, so if I put the backup folder on a drive or array larger than 2tb, I can backup more than 2tb in total using the client backup mechanism?

It's just data and as long as you don't classify it as backup data user a server tool, it should not matter.

JediTim

Sadly this makes WHS V1 look better all the time for my backup solution of the clients. I do store my media/ documents / misc on the server that my clients retrieve from but if I were to have additional clients this could be an issue.

geek-accountant

WHS 2011 is a big disappointment for me and something at this point I could not recommend to anyone as a solution. I have manually ran the clean up fuction multiple times and still it is showing ZERO space free. This is after reducing the number of days/weeks/months retained and marking a large number of backups for deletion (which are no longer listed so I would think they should be gone). I read some where that the clean up process runs every Sunday. Well tomorrow will be the second Sunday to go by and I have NO faith that any space will come back.

So at this point, none of the PC's in the house are being backup, thru WHS that is. At this point, the system is just a file server.

Last time I was at my parents, I set them up with a WHS v1 build. Seems it has given them some trouble and just leave it turned off. Next time I go down there, I am going to format the drive, install unRAID and set their computers up to use the built in backup of Windows 7.

itGeeks

Hi All,

Everyone talks about puting all files from client computers on the server like music, videos, documents, ect. I would like to know how peaple are setting this up? does anyone use the built in shares that WHS 2011 setup for us or do you setup a new set of shares? I started out using the built in shares but then everyone needed read/write access to all music, videos, docs, ect. and that did not seem like a safe way to go becouse everyone could delete everyone elese files so then I only gave read access to the shares but everytime I turned around someone was asking to to add or delete files for them so I did not think this was a good way to go either. Now I am thinking to add a share folder for each user and give only that user read/write access for there folders and give everyone else only read access so we can share music/videos/ ect. This would allow each user to manage there own files. What do you all think? how does everyone else setup shares?

Thank you

jmwills

Your thinking is right on. Setup your own shares with specific permissions. If you have kids you could limit access by read only and block access to your documents, etc.

The one thing I would suggest is drawing your design out on paper first and make sure the logical structure works with little or minimal disruption. If you know how to set permissions, this will be a snap. Microsoft, in my opinion, setup the default shares so there would be no thinking involved.

I think we are better than that.

Big Worm

Any updates on your issue? Your are not having any luck with your WHS 2011 I can see why you don't want to recommend it anymore.

geek-accountant

Not yet. Been busy with some other things and have not had a chance to dig into it anymore. I really need to because at this point WHS is useless to me. All my PC's are now using the built-in Win7 backup and are sending the files to my unRAID server. But I really need to try a few things mentioned on the last Home Server show or just scrap this thing for backup purposes.

itGeeks

Your thinking is right on. Setup your own shares with specific permissions. If you have kids you could limit access by read only and block access to your documents, etc.

The one thing I would suggest is drawing your design out on paper first and make sure the logical structure works with little or minimal disruption. If you know how to set permissions, this will be a snap. Microsoft, in my opinion, setup the default shares so there would be no thinking involved.

I think we are better than that.

Hi jmwills,

Thank you for the feedback. I have now setup one folder with the user name as the folder name and made sub folders inside of the user folder called documents, music, pictures, videos. I give the user/owner of that folder full read/write access as well as myself and everyone else read access so we can share the files accross the network. Now I think it will be stress free for me.

Thanks for your help.

jmwills

Good to hear.