RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
geek-accountant

Has WHS failed me again?

jmwills

There's more than one way to do these tasks.....that's how you spell "Windows"

ImTheTypeOfGuy

So, if I've got it, you're saying the only limitation would be if you use the WHS2011 built-in backup utility to back up the backups. In that situation, you could only back up 2 TB of the backups. The way around that would be to use another backup program to back up the PC backups, or to simply copy them using RoboCopy or TerraCopy or some other file copy utility.

yes. That is my understanding.

ikon

yes. That is my understanding.

excellent

geek-accountant

Moving the My Documents folder of all the PC's to the WHS would help, but none of the computers in the house have that much in those folders so it would only be a short term solution. However, I was under the impression that the total backup of all the PC's could not exceed 2tb, not just the backup of the server, but the actual PC back ups. Are you saying this is not the case and I can backup as much data as I want?

pcdoc

So I have tons of family here for the holidays and one of them brought me their computer to work on. Before starting any work, I decide to back it up to my WHS. However, it eventually fails due to hitting the 2tb limit. First thought it "no problem, I will just mark some backups for deletion and run a clean up". So after finding where the clean-up process is hidden (why on Earth did they remove it from the dashboard?), I run the clean-up. Lots of harddrive action later and NO additional space is freed up. Ok, I will mark every failed backup for deletion AND change my backup retention back to the default settings (I was using 8 days, 5 weeks and I don't remember how many months). I then run the clean-up again and it frees up a grand total of 1gb.

So, what am I doing wrong or how can I free up more space?

Here is a couple of my thoughts. Besides the the issues you described and of course the speed issue of the restores, I modified my backup behavior about 3 months ago. First, on all my critical systems as well as the servers themselves use Acronis, but only for the OS. The recovery time time for Acronis is about 10-15 minutes on an average install. I now move all data centralized to the server and use Acoronis as it does NOT have a 2T limitation so I can backup how ever much data I want. I still backup using WHS for the clients but on two of them that I can not afford to have down I use Acronis. Secondly, I use allowaysync to sync the raid volumes of the two servers just to make sure. All in all this eliminates the 2T issue for me.

jmwills

@Geek....if you create a dedicated backup folder and use the client backup mechanism, I think that would resolve your issue. What Doc said is also way around the issue. Acronis just gives you a more centralized solution from the server side.

geek-accountant

jmwills, so if I put the backup folder on a drive or array larger than 2tb, I can backup more than 2tb in total using the client backup mechanism?

pcdoc, that sounds like a great solution and I need to look into that further. Would I need to have Acronis on each of the desktops?

I really need to rethink my whole backup solution, so thanks for the great idea.

pcdoc

Comes down to what to put faith in. I trust WHS but it does have some issues. I think it is great for clients assuming you put data centralized, however when you aggregate all this data on one server, you need a bit more wiggle room which is why I am using Acronis. To me, putting all the data on a RAID 5 server, than using Acronis/sync to back it up is a simple but effective solution that is as safe as "practical" (of course you need a cloud solution for super critical stuff as well but that is a given). With pictures, music, and video, you can clog a backup in no time if left alone.

geek-accountant

Now none of the PC's in the house will backup because the server has reached it's limit. I removed my sister's PC (although I let it archive the failed backup, so this may have been a wasted effort) and had it remove all but the initial backup of my Broadcast Server. Since the initial backup of the Broadcast Sever, it has added a large amount of video and audio files from my podcast, so removing those should have freed up a TON of space. After running the backup cleanup, I got an additional 0.1gb of space. What the heck, seems like the clean up process isn't doing anything, although all those backups appear to be gone. How do I get more free space?

pcdoc, I looked at Acronis and it looks nice. But would I have to buy one for each PC on the network?

ikon

What the heck, seems like the clean up process isn't doing anything, although all those backups appear to be gone. How do I get more free space?

Wondering if this is another case of a database that needs optimization.