RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
geek-accountant

Has WHS failed me again?

geek-accountant

So I have tons of family here for the holidays and one of them brought me their computer to work on. Before starting any work, I decide to back it up to my WHS. However, it eventually fails due to hitting the 2tb limit. First thought it "no problem, I will just mark some backups for deletion and run a clean up". So after finding where the clean-up process is hidden (why on Earth did they remove it from the dashboard?), I run the clean-up. Lots of harddrive action later and NO additional space is freed up. Ok, I will mark every failed backup for deletion AND change my backup retention back to the default settings (I was using 8 days, 5 weeks and I don't remember how many months). I then run the clean-up again and it frees up a grand total of 1gb.

So, what am I doing wrong or how can I free up more space?

ikon

Hmmm, this seems to come up more and more; got me a little worried. Just to confirm, the 2TB limit is for all your client PC backups combined, not for each client, correct?

geek-accountant

My understanding is that the limit is a combined limit and not a per client limit. Which in my case, I am actually using WSS which has a 25 client limit making the 2tb limit even crazier. I understand their problem, but why even bother making a backup server to handle 25 clients if all you can do is 2tb. Someone correct me if I am wrong with that, but my understanding is that 2tb is the limit even if you have a much larger RAID array, right?

If the 2tb limit is as I said above, why on Earth would you not allow me to have different PC's backup to different folders each with the 2tb limit. Yea you will lose some of the single instance space savings, but that is a small price to pay in order to allow me to backup a larger group. Seems like that would have been an easy thing to implement.

ikon

Totally agree. It looks more and more like WHS2011 is an interim product that's waiting for VHDX. 16TB is a lot better but even that seems small for 25 PC's.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

That isn't my understanding of it. My understanding is you can back up as much as you want but you can only back up 2 TB of the backups. If what you describe is correct, then this product is even more worthless than I thought.

ikon

That isn't my understanding of it. My understanding is you can back up as much as you want but you can only back up 2 TB of the backups. If what you describe is correct, then this product is even more worthless than I thought.

Can you elaborate a bit more. What do you mean by backup 2 TB of the backups?

ImTheTypeOfGuy

the client backups should be unlimited. But the backup of the client backups would not be.

ikon

the client backups should be unlimited. But the backup of the client backups would not be.

So, if I've got it, you're saying the only limitation would be if you use the WHS2011 built-in backup utility to back up the backups. In that situation, you could only back up 2 TB of the backups. The way around that would be to use another backup program to back up the PC backups, or to simply copy them using RoboCopy or TerraCopy or some other file copy utility.

jmwills

Redirect the clients documents folder to the server and then use the client backup utility to do that work. The client will not have a limitation.

ikon

Redirect the clients documents folder to the server and then use the client backup utility to do that work. The client will not have a limitation.

Very interesting. Thanks for the info.