RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

AMD 64bit AHCI driver issues

krom

Has anyone run into issues installing Windows 7 64bit on an AMD board? More specifically on Gigabyte AMD boards. The Win 7 64bit install froze while loading on a GA-A75M-UD2H. 32 bit installed just fine. Then on a GA-99FXA-UD3 it would not find the hard drive. I downloaded the latest AHCI drivers from Gigabyte but still complains about it. This would be in the F6 stage of the install. At first I thought is was because I had an SSD in there but I swapped it out for a spindle drive and got the same results.

I thought I'd check here and see if anyone had a quick fix before hitting Gigabytes board. I've successfully installed Win 7 64bit on other AMD chipsets before without issue.

Thanks.

Sorry, have not installed on AMD in a very long time so I am not familiar with there boards or if there are any quirks.

Are any of the drives recognized in BIOS? Do you see the drives listed in the boot order? I might try an alternate SATA port. I would also kick off a memtest to be sure that RAM is ok. Bad or incompatible RAM has done squirrely things to me in the past.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try a different SATA port. I didn't think of that. The drives do show up in BIOS. I'll see about the memory too if switching SATA ports doesn't do the trick. Thanks again for the ideas this will help.

I have some updates to this problem. Switching the sata ports had no effect and neither did a different set of memory. Went from Corsair Vengeance to Gskill sniper with the same effect. I tried an older 80GB hard drive and switched from AHCI to native IDE mode with no improvement. I then tried 32bit Win 7 Pro and that worked or at least got past the point of detecting drives and let me pick a drive to install on (even the SSD). Also I noticed that what the error I was getting was about a CD/DVD driver not being found with the 64bit.

I was going to try and load the OS on my USB stick again thinking I might have either a corrupt copy or I picked a pre-SP1 ISO and that that might help. But before doing that on a whim I switched the USB port my USB stick was plugged into and that resolved the problem. The difference? I went from a USB 3 port to a USB 2 port. My USB stick was a USB 2 device. I've had issues with USB 3 ports before with keyboards/mice. I thought USB 3 was fully backwards compatible with USB 2 but it looks like that's not totally the case. Or at least USB 3 needs additional drivers not currently in Win 7 64bit install media. My media BTW was direct from Technet so that's pretty much the horses mouth.

I guess it's just something to be aware of when setting up a new system. Not sure if it was just my configuration or if others will run into this in the future as well. I do have a USB 3 memory stick...I should try that and see if it makes any difference. If I do I'll report it back here. In any case thanks for the tips.

Curiosity got the better of me and I gave a USB 3 stick a try. That did not solve the issue, so I went ahead and installed using my USB 2 stick in a USB 2 port. That install went fine with Win 7 64bit.

I have some updates to this problem. Switching the sata ports had no effect and neither did a different set of memory. Went from Corsair Vengeance to Gskill sniper with the same effect. I tried an older 80GB hard drive and switched from AHCI to native IDE mode with no improvement. I then tried 32bit Win 7 Pro and that worked or at least got past the point of detecting drives and let me pick a drive to install on (even the SSD). Also I noticed that what the error I was getting was about a CD/DVD driver not being found with the 64bit.

I was going to try and load the OS on my USB stick again thinking I might have either a corrupt copy or I picked a pre-SP1 ISO and that that might help. But before doing that on a whim I switched the USB port my USB stick was plugged into and that resolved the problem. The difference? I went from a USB 3 port to a USB 2 port. My USB stick was a USB 2 device. I've had issues with USB 3 ports before with keyboards/mice. I thought USB 3 was fully backwards compatible with USB 2 but it looks like that's not totally the case. Or at least USB 3 needs additional drivers not currently in Win 7 64bit install media. My media BTW was direct from Technet so that's pretty much the horses mouth.

I guess it's just something to be aware of when setting up a new system. Not sure if it was just my configuration or if others will run into this in the future as well. I do have a USB 3 memory stick...I should try that and see if it makes any difference. If I do I'll report it back here. In any case thanks for the tips.

I, too, have seen issues with some devices plugged into USB3 ports. Generally, I now only plug USB3 devices into USB3 ports.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Dave
      By Dave
      I've been posting about this motherboard for a while now.  My research project with this board is now complete!  I have 8 GPU's running on it; Two via M.2 adapters and 6 via PCI Extenders.  Video out to monitor is also routed via the onboard GPU.  Here is the original post.

I was able to get 7 NVIDIA cards running via this original rig.  I can happily say that I'm running 8 AMD Radeon cards on my second attempt.  My guess is that I would have been able to get the 8th card up and running on this original build had I given it more effort.  I tried once and a lot of the cards dropped off so I backed out and got it back up and running.  I think in my install I nudged a few PCIE extenders and should have just reseat them all and tried again.  The M.2 adapters can also be touchy and it sometimes takes several attempts to get them to see the GPU.  I sold that rig so cannot try it again.

I liked the motherboard so much and it is at such a good price point I bought another one.  I also loaded up on RX550 cards in order to do a "CryptoNight Mining Rig" build.
      Parts List
      Motherboard - The ASROck Z270 LGA 1151 - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157746&Tpk=N82E16813157746  Here is why.  Six PCIE slots.  Two M.2 Slots.  This allows a total of 8 GPU's.  It also will do onboard video so the GPU does nothing but mine.

Stick O' Ram * 2 - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313741&Tpk=N82E16820313741
      Cheapest CPU you can find - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1K66RA3156&ignorebbr=1  The box is going to be a GPU miner, not a CPU beast.

UBIT Risers

PCIE Risers - https://amzn.to/2GcDvBG

M.2 Riser

Now, the secret sauce. http://amzn.to/2EVMx5j  This little jewel will convert your M.2 slot into a PCIE slot.  You still need the riser board though.  When you populate the M.2 slot it will also consume a SATA connector.  Not physically so check your motherboard manual.

Other Small Parts
      Power Switch / Reset Switch - http://amzn.to/2riG0zJ
      I already have this for the power supply - CRJ 24-Pin ATX Red LED Power On/Off Switch Jumper Bridge Cable, Black Sleeved 22" - http://amzn.to/2Dh9XBA
      You can also use this - http://amzn.to/2DglvFd - to link your two power supplies together and they will turn on at the same time.

Frame

I enjoy building the frames and did another custom build.  I took a lot of time with a tape measure and the gear plus the cable lengths.  I wanted to center a motherboard between two power supplies and have two racks of cards.  I also wanted it wide enough in case I switched to a B250 board that would run more than 8 GPU's.

I gave it a coat of flat black paint.  I took a little extra time with it and covered nail gun holes and wood flaws, sanded, then painted.  Some screws are still visible because I couldn't find my counter-sink bit!  I also thought I was being cool by using some hickory we had left over from a flooring install.  It's so freaking hard of a wood that it was tough to work with! I won't do that again but this rig has some very sturdy cross members!  My only oops is I have twice neglected the SSD mount.  I don't have a real custom way to mount it. Lastly, I put in a swivel board on each end to hold in the power supply.  You will see that in another photo.

I still follow my own advice on Windows 10 Prep.

Read this post, do the steps.  I have also learned to install TeamViewer right after Windows Loads. Don't wait!

RX550's

The lowly AMD Radeon RX 550 with 2Gb of onboard VRAM. Who in their right mind with mine with one of these cards?

I like the RX 550 2Gb card.  I personally like the Gigabyte version. They don't require external power and I've found them to have decent VRAM in which to mod the bios and overclock.  I've purchased them new anywhere from $95 to $130.  The produce around 420 H/s on XMR-Stak and more with aggressive overcloccking.

They also sip the power.  Here i have the rig of 8 on a single 750 watt power supply even though I have two power supplies loaded up on the rig.  One thing I have also learned is that you don't have to apply power to the 4 pin plug on the M.2 adapter.  Powering the riser is enough.
      That's the rig.

You can see the while M.2 adapters in there somewhere!

Here is a beautiful picture.  8 GPU's in Device Manager. 

Photos or it didn't happen.  Above is XMR-Stak detecting the GPU's.

Here are the threads, two each per card.

Another pretty sight.

Claymore Miner

They are not Vega's.  They don't hash like a Vega but they don't cost like a Vega.  Not a bad rig.  Cost per hash is much lower than many other AMD cards on the market.  Do the math for yourself if you are curious.  Hit me with questions.

• CinatTuhYeliah
      By CinatTuhYeliah
      Hi all,

I'm sure this question has been asked a hundred times before me. I've been searching and installing for days and days to no avail, and I think it's time to ask.

I've got myself an HP G1610T which has all SATA bays populated - 4x 4TB drives.
      When the system was originally set up, I had FreeNAS installed to USB/SD card and the drives were configured with ZFS. Everything works (well, worked) a treat.
      My needs changed and so I set about changing to Ubuntu Server on the USB/SD card. Ubuntu has zfs support installed through apt which picked up my NAS drives and datasets no problem. This worked fine until the swap partition failed on the USB/SD for whatever reason, and all attempts to recover the SD Card have failed so far (I've given up hope and no longer care for it).

Now I'm trying to boot Ubuntu Server from an SSD which is plugged in to the ODD SATA port. I've read conflicting statements - It can't be done/It can be done. I've read you need to chainload the operating system with grub on a USB to boot Ubuntu. The list goes on. I can successfully install Ubuntu Server to USB with no problem, boot up, and do what I want, but the install seems to do not set up the Logical Volume and Volume Groups properly when installing to the SSD, and Grub fails to boot when chainloaded.

Does anyone have a relatively simple explanation of how I can go about booting my OS from the SSD? I'm preferring to keep all my data in tact where possible.

Assistance would be greatly appreciated! 

Cheers,
      /J
    • Tyon3r
      By Tyon3r
      Hi to all,

I have bought a Microserver Gen8 to make a small home server. I have bought also some Western Digital GOLD 4TB hard drives and I have tried to install one of those in the front slot 1.

Before installing the drive (that was checked for errors with wd utility full test to be sure that was ok), I have decided to set the controller to SATA AHCI mode, so later I can use software raid for controlling the storage array and have a raid5 option.

Something strange happens.

When I have booted the microserver for the first time with hard drive installed the hard drive was recognized (I have seen it on the boot sequence) but with a strange message "ATA security state of this disk is invalid". After restart/shutdown of the microserver the drive wasn't recognized anymore. I have tried everything, from re-insert the drive in the slot, check backplane cables, check again the drive on another pc with wd utility, nothing, no errors on it, the drive is ok but isn't recognized anymore.
      If I listen the sound it emits when it is installed on the microserver, at the start I can hear the usual spin-up of the motor, then when the boot sequence arrives at "HP AHCI SATA controller....initializing" I can hear the the motor spin-down and it isn't recognized (no message). Reset the server don't restart the the hard drive motor, the only thing is a shutdown of the microserver.

Later I have tried to set again the controller in HP Smart Array RAID MODE and with F5 I have entered the smart array manager setup. Here I can see that the drive is recognized again. Changed again the controller in SATA AHCI and it isn't recognized anymore, same as before.
      The diagnostic of the microserver is ok, no errors. The microserver is new HPE 2017 version. BIOS is obviously the last J06 (11/02/2015). And for be sure before using the server I have used the SPP from usb for check that all is updated.

Do you have some suggestions or maybe someone know something more about this problem? Like I have said before. when I have booted the microserver for the first time and the hard drive was recognized (the only time) what could be that strange message: "ATA security state of this disk is invalid" ? Someone who has his drive recognized can gently confirm me that he sees the same message during boot on his hard drive? from what I know is a security feature used most on laptop but for sure it was not enable on my WD GOLD. The drive was perfectly new, never used and sealed on his antistatic cover.

Many thanks to all for your precious help

• Joe_Miner
      By Joe_Miner
      HPE ProLiant Gen10 MicroServer with streaming movie playing (Batman vs Superman – Monitor 1), six VMs loaded and powered up (Hyper-V Manager window open – Monitor 2), and Excel spreadsheet opened crunching 19 years of daily data for multiple graphs (Monitor 3) all using about 49% of installed 32GB RAM.  The disk activity that can be made out on the Task Manager is from the VMs – the Excel spreadsheet is on my home server.
      For the above I had the following connections left to Right:
      1st Monitor attached with HDMI cable via: “Active DisplayPort to HDMI 4K Adapter, Benfei DP to HDMI Ultra HD Converter”   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M5DX296/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      2nd Monitor attached to VGA Port
      3rd Monitor attached with HDMI cable via : Passive “4K DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI Adapter by Benfei DP Display Port to HDMI UHD 2K 3D Audio and Video Converter Male to Female Gold-Plated Cord” https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VV26BLB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Check out the Thread on PassMark performance: 
      The 2D Graphics Mark was 424.7
      The 3D Graphics Mark was 1211
      The PassMark Analysis has the resolution of all three of my monitors as well as other information it detected about the AMD Radeon R7 Graphics.  I do not have a 4K monitor so I was not able to test that capability.

THIS WAS ALL AFTER I CORRECTED A ERROR I FOUND VERY EARLY ON IN SYSTEMS INFORMATION AND PROBLEM DEVICES
      Systems Information showed a Problem device: ACPI\AMD0020\20 -- to fix that I went to http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

The file will look like:

it will take awhile to execute!

Afterwards the Device Manager looked like:

And in System Information the Problem devices will be cleared out:

My setup at the time was:

Running at ~55W with 32GB RAM and two VMs active when I did this.

• diehard
      By diehard
      Ok, I got this working

I found instruction here http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?p=13183786

The issue with installing WHS version 1 on the HP Microserver N40L is that the BIOS must be in IDE mode or the server will continously reboot if you set it to AHCI.

The trick is to do the install normally. Once that's all done (patches and updates) remove the drive from the 1st slot of the drive cage and temporarily attach it to the sata connector on the motherboard that would be used to add a DVD drive.

Now reboot and go into the BIOS to change it to AHCI mode. Don't have any other pooled drives attached for convience. Now the server will boot normally, not continously reboot. You should get a message saying that their is a new device. Now you have to add the AHCI drivers, follow the link above and extract the files and install the driver.

Power down the server. Move the drive back to slot 1 of the cage, leave the BIOS in AHCI, it should now run properly. You will get some warnings because your missing your pooled drives, add the drives one at a time so the server can discover them, when your all done, do a reboot to clear any errors.

You should be golden