RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

System Restore Disk V1 Mediasmart Server EX475

Keith-UK

My HP Mediasmart Server EX475 is failing to boot the small system light blinks but boot does not progress. I am thinking that I need a system restore but for some reason I can not locate the system restore disk. Can anyone help? Am I right to be thinking along the system restore lines?

Have I provided enough information.

Thanks guys

Yep! Just be prepared to wait. I think it was PC Doc that said reusing a drive that has been repaired or tested by spinrite is fine as long as it's not "production".

I agree... SpinRite is a great tool and can do wonders for a troubled drive.

Thanks Guys

SpinRite did its stuff (8 hours per disk) and the homeserver is up and running.

Thanks for your help and advice

Yep! Just be prepared to wait. I think it was PC Doc that said reusing a drive that has been repaired or tested by spinrite is fine as long as it's not "production".

pc-doc and I happen to differ on this point. I have used many drives in production that I repaired with SpinRite. That decision has never given me any regrets.

Thanks Guys

SpinRite did its stuff (8 hours per disk) and the homeserver is up and running.

Thanks for your help and advice

Glad to hear it all worked. Now, what I recommend is that you set up a schedule for twice a year SpinRiting of the drives on level 4. Lots of ways to schedule it.

If you always maintain enough free space in your pool to allow removal of the largest drive, then you can remove a drive every 3 months or so, replace it with a spare drive, then run SpinRite against the removed drive. After re-certification, put it removed drive on the shelf as your new spare.

Or, if you can tolerate the time, you can SpinRite the drives all at one time. The fastest way is to have 4 spare systems on hand and have each one SpinRite a drive. That way they get SpinRited concurrently. Course, this way is very hardware intensive and is certainly not for everybody (not even me) :)

You could also take you server down and SpinRite the the drives one after another. However, on level 4, this will take a long time, most likely too long for your tastes.

It is important to note that you really should use Level 4 to SpinRite the drives. It's the level that Steve Gibson specifically designed to re-certify drives. It really exercises the drives and, if a drive is anywhere near close to failing, it should find that out for you. Better safe than sorry.