RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
G. WadeTech

New PC Build... Any help is appreciated.

G. WadeTech

Are there any perks to buying the mobo & cpu at the same time? With some of the mobo deals right now it looks like buying the mobo separate is a better deal.

G. WadeTech

But what I don't want is to buy the mobo and not be able to test it for a couple of months and find out it is bad and not be able to exchange it through newegg.com. This is a hard decision... buying the RAM or mobo and not being able to test for a couple months could be a bad idea. Thoughts?

G. WadeTech

Mobo?

GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128498

GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD4 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128507

Guest no-control

Buy the RAM...

Buy the mobo and CPU at the same time. You'll find better deals if you buy them both. also by the time you're ready to buy both Ivy bridge may be a viable option or at the very least SB will be much cheaper. If it was me I wouldn't buy anything until I had enough to buy the CPU/RAM?mobo all in one shot so you can minimize the risk of getting a DOA.

G. WadeTech

Thanks for the advice. I defiantly don't want a DOA and I am hoping I don't have any boot loop issues with the mobo I get. I will probably wait a bit and get all three at the same time or at least within the same month.

G. WadeTech

Okay, it is hard to build a new PC one piece at a time. Not to mention the issues with not being able to test everything out in case it is DOA.

Yesterday I purchased the CPU/RAM/MOBO/Thermal Paste from newegg.com

I went with the following:

Intel Core i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Mobo

G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB 240-pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600 (PC3 12800)

Artic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

pcdoc

Okay, it is hard to build a new PC one piece at a time. Not to mention the issues with not being able to test everything out in case it is DOA.

Yesterday I purchased the CPU/RAM/MOBO/Thermal Paste from newegg.com

I went with the following:

Intel Core i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Mobo

G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB 240-pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600 (PC3 12800)

Artic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

Great choices.

Guest no-control

wow thats a lot of RAM.for a gaming build

Edited by no-control

G. WadeTech

wow thats a lot of RAM.for a gaming build

It is not going to be a gaming build really... casual at best. It is mostly going to be my main rig and used to run multiple VM's and development efforts.

ikon

It is not going to be a gaming build really... casual at best. It is mostly going to be my main rig and used to run multiple VM's and development efforts.

In that case go for 32GB...... j/k :)