RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
G. WadeTech

New PC Build... Any help is appreciated.

pcdoc

Very nice build and great choice of components. Let me know what you think of the mouse as I have one and was not at all impressed.

G. WadeTech

Thanks PCDOC. The mouse is a Microsoft Touch Mouse for those of you that are wondering. You can read my review here: http://theaverageguy.tv/2011/11/29/the-microsoft-touch-mouse-review/

I like the mouse for the ability to snap open windows from left to right without my hand leaving the keyboard. I also like the three finger down to show an expose like feature of all the open windows. The mouse does feel different in your hand and takes some getting used too.

What didn't you like about the mouse?

pcdoc

Thanks PCDOC. The mouse is a Microsoft Touch Mouse for those of you that are wondering. You can read my review here: http://theaverageguy...h-mouse-review/

I like the mouse for the ability to snap open windows from left to right without my hand leaving the keyboard. I also like the three finger down to show an expose like feature of all the open windows. The mouse does feel different in your hand and takes some getting used too.

What didn't you like about the mouse?

The feel was fine and I also like the software features but the precision and smoothness was one of the worse I have used to date and I have used almost every mouse made. Software is a nice design but very buggy. Ran into numerous issues with slow down, loss of sensitivity and general unresponsiveness. Great idea and a good addition to Windows 8 but it would help if they did not have to compromise. In order to easily "touch" the mouse cannot glide too much, however when it does not glide, it makes for a lousy mouse experience. Just my thoughts. Used it for 10 minutes and put it back in the box.

GregHB

That's a nice looking case. Big enough for good-sized graphics cards and nice air flow.

Two of my colleagues have the i5-2500k and they really like their systems. They went with i5-2500k and nVidia 470 single graphics cards with room for SLi.

Question: Would an A6 or A8 AMD APU be a good alternative for your set-up? That may allow you to remove one of the physical graphic cards, utilizing the APU graphics + the discrete graphics card. Nothing wrong with the i5, just curious if the A6 or A8 would suite, as well.

The only motherboard that I've not had good luck with was the first 775 Biostar board that I had for my q6600. It ran OK and was a budget board, so I'm not writing off Biostar, but it was as vanilla as vanilla can get. I switched out to a Gigabyte board and have had 0 problems, was able to OC my q6600 from 2.4 to 3.0 GHz. I've had good luck with MSI boards as well and am building my mom a 775 based computer to replace her Sempron 2200 using an MSI board.

For your boot disc and storage drives, will you be using a mixture of Solid State and large platters? I've had good luck with OCZ Solid State Drives for boot discs + WD 1.5 TB storage drives. For my WHS, I used a Seagate 500 GB Momentus hybrid drive.

Good luck & excellent pictures so far :).

G. WadeTech
The feel was fine and I also like the software features but the precision and smoothness was one of the worse I have used to date and I have used almost every mouse made. Software is a nice design but very buggy. Ran into numerous issues with slow down, loss of sensitivity and general unresponsiveness. Great idea and a good addition to Windows 8 but it would help if they did not have to compromise. In order to easily "touch" the mouse cannot glide too much, however when it does not glide, it makes for a lousy mouse experience. Just my thoughts. Used it for 10 minutes and put it back in the box.

I did not like it much the first day I used it but by day three I was getting used to it and now I enjoy using it. I agree with you on the occasional slowness and loss of sensitivity... I am hoping for an update soon to make it even better and the product that it can be.

pcdoc

I did not like it much the first day I used it but by day three I was getting used to it and now I enjoy using it. I agree with you on the occasional slowness and loss of sensitivity... I am hoping for an update soon to make it even better and the product that it can be.

I suppose you can used to many different things, the problem I have mine hooked up to a one system and right next to it is another system using the Logitech G9x. When you have to switch back and forth it starts to feel like putting glue on your roller blades compared to the G9x. They need to work on the tracking pads on the bottom and certainly the software.

G. WadeTech

I am ready to make another purchase towards my new PC build... what should my next component be?

I think processors will come down in price as the Ivy Bridge line gets closer to market. I am thinking Mobo?

Guest no-control

Buy the mobo and CPU at the same time....Buy RAM

pcdoc

I agree with no-control. RAM standard will be the same for awhile. Buy the MB and CPU in one shot.