RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
G. WadeTech

New PC Build... Any help is appreciated.

G. WadeTech

I am building a new PC (this one is not going to be a WHS) over time and would like to see what the communities thoughts are. This PC will replace my current desktop PC. I will expand on things more as the discussion grows.

Requirements (needs/wants):

needs:

USB 3.0 external/internal

PCIe 2.0 x16 - 2 slots (for dual graphics cards)

CPU support for Intel Core i5

eSata internal onboard connector for existing PCI card

32GB Max RAM

Over Clocking ability for the Intel Core i5 Sandy Bridge Processor

wants:

PCIe 3.0 x16 - 2 slots

Touch Bios / Click Bios

Enhanced USB charging functionality (super charger) on Mobo

SRT - Smart Response Technology (this would be for a SSD HD later)

On/Off Charge Technology

Parts List:

Items I have:

2 - ATI Graphics Cards

Full ATX Case (Fractil Design Arc Midi: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352007)

System Hard Drive

Items I need yet:

Motherboard - Full ATX

Processor - Intel Core i5

16GBs of RAM

Power Supply

G. WadeTech

It has been a while since I have built a PC. I think my next step after choosing a case is the motherboard. I have done some refined searches on newegg.com and I think this is going to be the hardest part. So far I am looking at Gigabyte, Asus, ASrock, and MSI... I was originally leaning towards Gigabyte but the reviews on newegg.com seem to have a lot of DOA entries.

pcdoc

I would not put tons of credibility in the Newegg reviews when it comes to DOA's. I have been reading that for awhile and have yet to have an issue. Some folks have issues when putting things together that have nothing to do with the motherboard but blame the board. The other comment is finding two slots is not a problem however on "most" boards, when running dual video and trying to run 2 16x cards, the 16x slots step down to 8x. Should have no real impact on your benchmarks however you should be aware. Only the highest end boards will give you an actual 2 x 16x so look carefully at the details no matter what brand you select. As for the processor, depending on budget, Core I5-2500k or I7-2600K. Power supply, I am a huge fan of Cooler Master (modular) or the new Corsair (modular). Go with a single 12V rail at 600-700 watt for the setup you described.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128499

Kazz

I agree with the above reply. I have no experience or recommendation for a motherboard other than to go with a Z68 chipset in order to retain Intel's Smart Response Technology which can implement an SSD as small as 60GB for caching making your hard drives MUCH more responsive - quicker level loads, etc.

All the motherboard Mfrs you've listed are good. Keep in mind, however, that ASRock is ASUS "bargain" brand. I would also be sure to have EVGA in my list of MB Mfrs to consider. Especially if they have a part that fits your need with their lifetime warranty. A quick look shows their Z68 parts to be only 3yr warranty. Support and service are excellent. I don't understand why you're asking for a "full ATX". I would just get the MB requirements together and make sure it was some kind of ATX that works in your case. Speaking of cases, make sure your GPUs fit in your case.

I can't make a specific CPU recommendation other than the i5-2500K or i7-2600K without hearing more of what you're going to want this PC to do. The OEM cooler should be sufficient until such time as you decide to overclock. Then you'll want 3rd-party cooling.

Also, you shouldn't need more than 4GB RAM for gaming unless you'll have a lot going on in the background. 8GB for insurance, I suppose, but 16GB is overkill unless you're doing some video encoding, working on huge images in Photoshop, etc.

My current first stop for power supplies is Corsair.

Enjoy! I LOVE building PCs!

Guest no-control

G. Wade

For me to make a meaningful recommendation I"ll need a budget, which ATI cards you have (PSU selection!) And you're system drive specs.

G. WadeTech

I would not put tons of credibility in the Newegg reviews when it comes to DOA's. I have been reading that for awhile and have yet to have an issue. Some folks have issues when putting things together that have nothing to do with the motherboard but blame the board. The other comment is finding two slots is not a problem however on "most" boards, when running dual video and trying to run 2 16x cards, the 16x slots step down to 8x. Should have no real impact on your benchmarks however you should be aware. Only the highest end boards will give you an actual 2 x 16x so look carefully at the details no matter what brand you select. As for the processor, depending on budget, Core I5-2500k or I7-2600K. Power supply, I am a huge fan of Cooler Master (modular) or the new Corsair (modular). Go with a single 12V rail at 600-700 watt for the setup you described.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128499

G. Wade

For me to make a meaningful recommendation I"ll need a budget, which ATI cards you have (PSU selection!) And you're system drive specs.

Thanks for the advice on the newegg.com reviews. I assume that if there are only a couple people that have had issues out of the 100+ people that have probably purchased the mobo's then the product is probably still pretty good. I am aware of the step down on speed once you add a second card to the PCIe x16 slots down to x8/x8. This is okay with me as I don't game often and when I do it is nothing demanding.

Here are the graphics cards I am going to use:

ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro

ATI Radeon X600

So no SLI/CrossFire at this point and probably never will. But I do plan to upgrade the graphics cards but that will not happen till fall of 2012 or later.

Mobo budget = I am thinking around $150 or less ( I am open to paying a bit more for the mobo if the board is worth it compared to its peers)

PSU = around $100 ( I haven't looked much on PSU's yet. I do like the Corsair and Cooler Master brands and agree with PCDOC that it would be nice to have a modular PSU)

System Drive specs?

I am going to use my current WD 1TB Black HD and may add 2 other spare smaller GB size hard drives. I would love to get a SSD down the road and utilize SRT down the road.

G. WadeTech

Any thoughts on the GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3P LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard? Newegg.com has it as an Iron Egg item and many interesting reviews. Anyone in the forums have this board or an opinion?

pcdoc

I have this board and really like it. I presently have 3 different Gigabyte Z68 boards. My favorite is the GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 but all have been good with no issues so it will boil down to personal preference and features. I wanted video connectors in case it gets re-purposed even though right now it is running with a 6950.

ikon

re: video cards. PCIe v2 runs 4 Gbit/lane, so 16 lanes would be 64 Gbit. That's a lot of gigage. I don't know of any video that can saturate that. So, running 2 cards in 16x slots that step down to 8x when both are used should be no issue at all; you still can't even come close to saturating the bus. Even with other cards, such as RAID, using up lane space you should have no issues. Oh, and a lot of mobos today are coming with PCIe v3, so it's even less of an issue. Hmmm, can you actually have 'less' of something that is already of no concern?

G. WadeTech

Now the issue is not being able to test components as I get them if I don't get them in the right order. So, next should be the power supply. Agree?