RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Virtual HP MSS The Other White Meat Of Virtualization.

Octavean

Hi Octavean, yes you can use that tool amongst others to Physical to Virtual (P2V) machines. There are good uses for that scenario, but keep in mind if you would continue with your EX470 example that had 4 HDD's in it, the new virtualized image could have a problem missing the other connected drives depending on how you P2V'd it (OS volume only, vs all drives together).

You can also perform Virtual to Virtual (V2V) between VMWare and Microsoft virtual machines if you're testing and transitioning between. Several free tools exist to perform this as well.

You wouldn't need VMWare Converter to use your recovery disk to create a VM, you could just set up a VM in VMWare server or Virtual Server, and boot&restore right there...of course paying attention to licensing as you mentioned :-)

Right. I wanted to limit the complexity of the system which is what made the HP LX195 ideal given that it only had one drive. It had a few backups filling the drive too so I dumped them prior to the VM conversion. This helped in making the small ~50GB file and it also played a part in the very short conversion time. I suspect that USB storage could be added to the VM afterwards.

Octavean,

Funny you should post this. I've been playing with VMWare a lot lately (thanks wodysweb) and used the Convertor to convert my XP Mode VM from MS to a VMWare Player file and it worked good. I've got six MV machines now they include, WHS v1, WHS v2 (Vail), Win7 x64, Linux (playing to see if I can learn something), Vista x64, and my XP Mode VM.

I've managed to get all of them in the same workgroup and playing nicely together. I've even got the XP VM to connect to both WHS v1 and WHS v2 at the same time and both are able to backup and restore the VM. Pretty cool.

fasthair

I too am using VMware. I've been working with PCs since the days when you had to format your hard drive and then install DOS from 5 1/4 inch floppies. I recently purchased a Mac Book Pro and installed VMware's Fusion 3. To stay compatible with my Mac I installed VMware's free VMware Player on top of Windows Server 2008 on an HP. I found that an XP VM installed in Fusion could be copied over to Player and start up with no conversation. I am impressed with both Player and Fusion 3. And now you can install new VMs using player.

This past week-end I removed Player from my PC and installed the free VMware Server 2, just to see what it was like. While Player and Fusion 3 were intuitive to create a VM and start using it I had to do a little reading to understand VMware Server 2. I'm very new to using virtual machines, but I'm enjoying learning about them. I wonder what are the real world difference between VMware's Player and Server 2 for me as an enthusiast and not a data center.

Last night I used vCenter Converter on an OEM version of WHS with one drive and no data. When I started it in VMware Server 2 I was told I had 3 days to register. Since I'm using my OEM version on a server to backup my XL495 I'll probably install a trial version into a VM next. And let me say that it is not over kill to backup one WHS with another :-) .

I enjoy reading your experiences with virtualization and look forward to wobysweb's next installment. Keep them coming.
Ed R

From my experience (correct me anyone if I'm wrong), VMWare Server lets you build a new VM from scratch, and VMWare player lets you run pre-existing VM's or converted VMs. I've always used server as it has almost all the features of player and you can build your own VM's. I don't think that server has the new features like XP mode to have them in similar window views and copy/paste between them though.

EDIT - From VMWare's site:

"Use VMware Player to create virtual machines with the latest 32-bit and 64-bit Windows and Linux operating systems. With Easy Install it