RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Two Sets of Hardware, Which for HTPC and Which for Server

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I currently have the following gear with s2008r2 running about 6 VM's.

• EVGA X58 SLI Motherboard - LGA 1366, Intel X58, SATA, SLI Ready, CrossFireX Ready, Triple Channel DDR3 support, RAID, Hyperthreading support
  • Intel Core i7 920 Processor BX80601920 - 2.66GHz, LGA 1366, 4.8GT/s QPI, 8MB L3 Cache, Quad-Core, HyperThreading, Bloomfield, Retail
  • OCZ Gold Tri Channel 6GB PC12800 DDR3 Memory - 1600MHz, 6144MB (3 x 2048)
  • Western Digital Scorpio Black WD2500BEKT 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal
  • Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive
  • ICY DOCK MB982SPR-2S Full Metal Dual 2.5" to 3.5" SATA HDD & SSD Converter with RAID for PC
  • & Mac Pro
  • EVGA GeForce GT 240 Superclocked Video Card - 512MB DDR5, PCI-Express 2.0, DVI, HDMI,VGA

I also have the following gear with W7 Ultimate, MM4, TMT5, etc as my HTPC.

• Gigabyte GA-H55-USB3
  • i3 530 @ 2.93 GHz
  • 4 GB Ram,
  • 60 GB OCZ Vertex 1 SSD

So I am wondering if I should swap the hardware. If I did, I would by 16 GB of memory for the new server hardware and of course swap the HDD/SSD and icydock. Reasons I am curious about this are related to power draw and the fact the current HTPC has onboard graphics so I am thinking it would be better in the server. Of course, I will have to verify my GPU on the current server would meet my HTPC requirements. If not, then I will need to get a new GPU.

Obviously, a swap would be a lot of work so a swap would need to provide a lot of benefit. Am I just over analyzing this?

Why would you want your HTPC to be the i7 unless you expect it to do some heavy lifting (like gaming and encoding/transcoding)? I'm not an expert but I think your set up looks good as is.

Why would you want your HTPC to be the i7 unless you expect it to do some heavy lifting (like gaming and encoding/transcoding)? I'm not an expert but I think your set up looks good as is.

Good point. I have been more focused on the video and power draw. I am not an expert either, which is why I threw it out there.

No I have not. I don't know much about that app. What is the difference between it and just RDPing into a VM?

basically it increases the quality of graphics avaliable in a VM. you still RDP in

interesting; never heard of it. 'Course, I do very little VM'ing.

x58 for an HTPC is overkill

Might I suggest you purchase a Mac Pro for your HTPC duties....

I think I just vomitted in my mouth.