RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

windows media center music organization

eagle63

Hey guys, I'm a (generally) happy user of windows 7 media center, but the Music piece is frustrating me. I manage my music on my macbook using iTunes, and then periodically I copy all my music down to my WHS 2011 box. (not exactly elegant I know..) Anyway, Windows media center seems intent on reorganizing my music despite my desire to have it strictly follow the folder structure I've got setup. I normally wouldn't care, except that it frequently mis-labels (or doesn't recognize) certain songs/albums, and the net result is that my collection looks like a mess when I try to play it back from my living room. A second problem (and maybe partially related) is that it only gets about half of the album art for my music which is annoying.

Any ideas to make media center stop doing it's own "organization"?

As an aside, is there another/better way to handle music in WMC? I seem to be straddling the Apple and Google universes when it comes to media, and frankly I'd love it if there was a slick way to have windows media center just playback my existing iTunes library - but I don't think that's possible. I suppose I could just get an Apple TV and be done with it, but I hate having to switch between devices if I don't have to. (easier on the rest of the family if they only need to understand how to use 1 interface)

Also, given that you are using iTunes, I presume all your music is in MP3 format?

If not, you will need to install a codec for WMC to be able to recognise "non-native" formats before it will see the embeded album art.

I use artist/album in my file structure for WMC/WMP and that works fine.

Also, given that you are using iTunes, I presume all your music is in MP3 format?

If not, you will need to install a codec for WMC to be able to recognise "non-native" formats before it will see the embeded album art.

I use artist/album in my file structure for WMC/WMP and that works fine.

Really.... that might explain it. About half of my music is AAC and the other half is mp3. WMC will play my AAC stuff just fine, but I still need to install a codec for it to get the album art? I'll have to investigate that. Thanks for both suggestions!