RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How to buy WSS 2008 R2 Essentials

Bitback

I know it's OEM only, but I am unable to find a Microsoft partner that has it. I'm a microsoft partner, but not an OEM partner.

I've called 5 OEM's and they all say "that's been discontinued". But they refer to WSS 2008 R2 (not essentials). Sigh.

WD is even selling their Sentinal DX4000 with it installed, so it's not going away anytime soon.

Anyone have any ideas?

Dell still sells it as part of the NAS lines of Server boxes (they are actually full fledge servers being sold as NAS's with WSS2008 as the OS on them

Is this the one everyone keeps asking about but can't get because it's only on MSDN, not on TechNet? Just wondering if you have an MSDN account and could get it that way.

I think it was originally on TechNet and then got moved over to MSDN. I have a copy and the only way I would have been able to get it was throughTechNet and Connect as a Beta tester.

Is this the one everyone keeps asking about but can't get because it's only on MSDN, not on TechNet? Just wondering if you have an MSDN account and could get it that way.

Yes, MSDN only.

Dell still sells it as part of the NAS lines of Server boxes (they are actually full fledge servers being sold as NAS's with WSS2008 as the OS on them

I do a search on Dell for WSS 2008 R2 Essentials it give me noting. Drop "essentials" and I get some hits.

Any idea what model number?

I may have to break down and get an MSDN account.

Thanks!

I think it was originally on TechNet and then got moved over to MSDN. I have a copy and the only way I would have been able to get it was throughTechNet and Connect as a Beta tester.

You were one of the lucky ones. After reading about it in these forums I jumped onto TN to try to get it, but it had already been removed :(