RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Streaming HD Video - stuttering

Dude

I'm trying to stream HD video from my WHS V1 to my Windows 7 client machine.

The format of the video is AVCHD Video (.m2ts) and I'm playing it in Windows Media Player.

The two devices are connected with a 1GB switch and cat5e cables.

I have Jumbo frames on 9KB MTU on both the ethernet drivers on the WHS and client PC

I get stuttering (really bad) continuously.

I don't have anything running WHS so not sure what to diagnose.

Any ideas or thoughts?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cskenney

• pcdoc

• Dude

• ikon

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you using for your WHS v1 server?

I am also assuming you have already tried playing the same file locally on the client machine with no stuttering.

I just realised I didn't advise on the processor its a Pentium Dual Core E6300 @ 2.8GHz, so wondering if this processor is fast enough, although I don't believe its doing any transcoding.

For starters, I would not use Jumbo frames for video streaming. Have you bench marked your network performance? The stuttering can be a bunch of different things but 90% of the time it is in network or network performance. m2ts files need about 15-20 megs per second to play correctly over the network. Test your speed using some file transfers (preferably several small and large files that total about 5-10 gigs for accuracy) and see what you are measuring. With a gig switch you should be north of 50 megs per second. If you are getting less than that, then we at least know where to start. Also would be helpful if you listed your hardware.

I just realised I didn't advise on the processor its a Pentium Dual Core E6300 @ 2.8GHz, so wondering if this processor is fast enough, although I don't believe its doing any transcoding.

The processor is fast enough for a server or a client but if it is the client it will need some hardware assisted decoding from a video card.

What are you using for your WHS v1 server?

I am also assuming you have already tried playing the same file locally on the client machine with no stuttering.

Hi CSkenney, yes I can play the file locally without any issues.

For starters, I would not use Jumbo frames for video streaming. Have you bench marked your network performance? The stuttering can be a bunch of different things but 90% of the time it is in network or network performance. m2ts files need about 15-20 megs per second to play correctly over the network. Test your speed using some file transfers (preferably several small and large files that total about 5-10 gigs for accuracy) and see what you are measuring. With a gig switch you should be north of 50 megs per second. If you are getting less than that, then we at least know where to start. Also would be helpful if you listed your hardware.

The processor is fast enough for a server or a client but if it is the client it will need some hardware assisted decoding from a video card.

Hi PCDoc, its a 19Gig file when I transfer from WHS to client using copy I get speeds of between 50mb/sec and 52mb/sec, when I copy from client to WHS I get 100mb/sec

My client machine is fast 7.6 WEI score and thats due to the Corei5 2500k processor, all other components are better.

Hi PCDoc, its a 19Gig file when I transfer from WHS to client using copy I get speeds of between 50mb/sec and 52mb/sec, when I copy from client to WHS I get 100mb/sec

My client machine is fast 7.6 WEI score and thats due to the Corei5 2500k processor, all other components are better.

Have you tried it without the Jumbo Frames to see if there is any impact? Also, any EARS drives in the V1?

Do you have Folder Duplication turned on, on any share. Maybe it's running demigrator to balance the drives, that runs once an hour. Is it always stuttering or random ?

Is the share that the video is on, duplicated ?

Is the Windows Search service running, that indexes the files and could be running at a bad time.