RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Viability of Windows Home Server

joem

Windows Home Server was developed for average users. I believe it won't last too much longer. Version one was pretty easy for home users to use. Most home users I have talked to liked it for the image backup capabilities and access to their photos and videos. They also indicated issues when trying to restore Windows 7 with that system reserved partition. When I interviewed them they indicated that they don't use add-ons or anything like that. Without the continuation of drive extender out of the box it seems to leave them behind. It was easy for them to use. I am sad to say with the advent of WHS 2011 I just can't see a viable market any longer for such a device aimed at average users . Microsoft is no longer going to develop this product for just geeks like us. Any opinions on this? Your feedback would be appreciated.

I think the mitigating factor could be the 3rd party drive pool managers, like DrivePool, DriveBender, etc. If one or more of these products gets picked up and incorporated into WHS2011 boxes from Acer and other vendors, and it's done well, end users will never know that it's not just part of WHS2011, nor will they care. They'll just be happy that they can use WHS2011 like everyone used WHSv1. Of course it's all just potential at the moment. Time will tell....

I think the mitigating factor could be the 3rd party drive pool managers, like DrivePool, DriveBender, etc. If one or more of these products gets picked up and incorporated into WHS2011 boxes from Acer and other vendors, and it's done well, end users will never know that it's not just part of WHS2011, nor will they care. They'll just be happy that they can use WHS2011 like everyone used WHSv1. Of course it's all just potential at the moment. Time will tell....

simply put, I agree

although Im really hoping MS licences DP or DB for V3

Once the noun "server" was added, it had little hope of widespread home adoption.

I think the day of wide-spread home adoption is yet to come; wide-spread use of hi-res video and so on hasn't taken off just yet. However, that day may well never arrive because the cloud will take over the duties that a home server would have served, if there'd been nothing else to do the job. That will kinda depend on how quickly really hi-speed internet access becomes available to the masses.

I think if marketed properly, there is still a market for Windows Home Server 2011 even without drive pooling.

As a simple appliance for bare-metal backups for up to 10 computers..

Lets face it, most people do not have TB's of movies sitting around to be duplicated like most of us do.. They have a few gigs of music, pics and documents on their local computers. And no matter where they stuck their data on their hard drive, with WHS it will get backed up..

In that scenario the home server itself becomes the duplication.

Yes its slow if you restore specific files and not an entire drive, but restorations for the average user are going to be one of two things, either from a drive failure, or accidental deletion or modification of a file..

All that being said, I think going forward, Microsoft should consider adding the centralized backup that Home Server offers to Windows 8.. simplicity for the average user.. just setup the central backup on one of your PC's, add an external usb3 drive dedicated for the backups of the other computers and wa-la....you could even get notifications via the tiles.

Edited by tojoski

I'm wondering if WHS would make better inroads if it was setup to do a router's job too. Add the functionality of Untangled to the server and have it also cache video streams and websites to reduce data usage, specially areas where there are data caps.

Imagine that you watch a movie on Netflix, while the movie flows through the WHS it cashes it so that if you watch it again within a couple of days the movie is feed off the WHS and not across the internet. Saving data bandwidth. It would truly start to become a personal cloud device.

This is not new tech, caching is almost as old as the net. But I would bet that some of the media companies would still through a fit.

Sadly I couldn't recommend the WHS 2011 to any of my friends...it has become too complicated for anything most of them would consider. I love the idea of having my backups and the ability to take them offsite. I still don't think the cloud will be a viable solution for a while since the Internet Providers are likely going to throttle / limit the bandwidth because of streaming concerns and the cost of placing my data in the cloud. For now a 2TB drive I can take offsite for my documents / music and photos is good for me...I'm not so concerned with the 8TB of video of have but don't expect to see that in the cloud anytine soon.

WHS 2011 is going nowhere fast. The whole thing is/was a mess. If Microsoft had coordinated the release timing with 3rd party DE developers and gotten the major PC makers on board, it might have stood a chance. As it is, 3rd party DE software is just now becoming available as an RC. And who in the US is making OEM? Anyone? No.

Don't get me wrong. My main server is 2011. It's all RAID'd and raring to go. But it's too much for the average user to even think about putting together. They either wouldn't want to bother, or it would simply be beyond their capabilities. I'll continue to run my 2011. It's working ok for me, but then I'm not pushing it with stuff like vm's, Sharepoint, pfsense, etc. I have one main add-in and that's Home Server Status which basically does everything Launchpad should have and more. Meanwhile, my MSS EX-495 sits close by, waiting.

WHS was originally designed as the OS for a centralised Backup and Storage appliance that OEMs would bring to the market. In the v1 incarnation, it made a fair stab at that, and with packaged systems from major PC suppliers, it had a chance. However, I fear that the whole WHS 2011 project has fallen horribly short, and certainly has not pushed the envelope that was set by v1. Indeed, it has fallen short on many fronts. I find it telling that we still are not seeing packaged systems from major manufacturers, but only bijou system builders. That's not to disparage the bijou builders, only to make the point that there is no real momentum in the WHS market.

What I’m really pissed off about is that Microsoft had a great product with V1, but they’ve knifed it in the back with WHS 2011. Someone put their finger on it in the WeGotServed forum:

I think the biggest determinant here is not profit, but executive support. Charlie Kindel (original head of WHS) was a strong supporter of the concept of a home server, and could defend against the inevitable bean-counter types. Unfortunately, after the reorg and his departure WHS was ‘adopted’ by a group that doesn’t understand the value proposition of a home server. There is no executive-level WHS champion anymore. So from here on out, it will be judged by units sold, for better or worse.

I expect that the number of units sold will not be sufficient to save it. I seriously doubt whether we will see a v3. The best we can hope for is that the Client Backup technology will be repackaged as an add-on to Windows 8 (as Tojoski suggested earlier), and that the rumoured drive-pooling capability in Windows 8 might form the basis of some sort of DE. Those, together with the VHDX format in Windows 8, with its 16TB capacity, might give us the basis of WHS functionality that could be packaged as an add-on to Windows 8.

Edited by gcoupe