RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

OK need some kid advice =)

CablDeViL

Sorry I haven't had the time to post but I have till July to gut and rebuild 1 bathroom and 1 child's room =). OK so what the hell does this have to do with WHS. Ok well today I installed the heated floor and its controlled by an IP thermostat that is controlled by the WHS via Mcontrol. Home automation is to kewl and I have the Wife's blessing.

Here is my question to those with children (I have none yet) and WHS. Should I toss a Cat 6 on the wall in the gutted Bathroom (not the master that will get it soon ) while the walls are open. I am thinking of just installing a wireless audio extender and not a TV. I don't think TV would be that important in the child bathroom.

I could install a popcorn or WD HD live in the BR to stream children s dvds? Is that really where I want a tv for a child to be or .... will it help somehow with bath time and learning how to use the ... umm get out of diapers.

Sorry for this odd post but I know WHS one way or another is going to be apart of this bathroom.

Thanks

Bill

Ok, I have 2 kids and a WHS so maybe my advice is of some use.

At first I thought Cat6 in the bathroom sounded crazy...just use wireless. On the other hand, why not. Who knows what the future will bring. You might end up with a touch panel that displays the weather, controls the heated floor or something else. I would probably not terminate it on the other end unless I actually had something hooked into it.

My opinion is do not put a video device in a small childs room. We have a separate playroom (spare bedroom) that has a TV, plus the TV in the living room. You want your child to understand that their bedroom is for sleeping when you put them to bed.

Concerning bath time and other tasks. Consistent routines are what makes life easiest. Kids learn the routine and they know what to expect. If you are not consistent on bed time routines or discipline, etc. then your child has a hard time understanding what to expect.

I will whole-heartedly agree with you on those points. I have a 2 year old (almost 3) and a 10 month old. No TV's in rooms for anyone in our household. Nobody can tell you how to raise your kids but everyone will tell you to read a book about it! So here goes.
Healthy Sleep Habits: Happy Child I've got two very good sleeping kids. It may not be due to this book but it will show you things to look out for. It was recommended to me and I have friends who have thanked me for showing it to them. A child that is sleepy or overtired will make your life hell!
And, if you don't already have it, the old standby book. What to expect when your expecting.

Oh yeah, your wiring project!

As for wiring. I would run a CAT5 to the light switch area for possible future keypads, etc. In the bathroom you could even run a set of speaker wires to the ceiling in case you ever want to make that an audio zone. Here is how I run my bedroom wiring. One set of wires to TWO walls. A set includes a CAT5/6 for data, a CAT5 for voice, and a coax.

No doubt in the future our kids will call us crazy for running wires all over the place. Wires Dad? We don't need no stinking wires!

My suggestion is to not add it as it is a waste because you will never want to use it. Don't make the bathroom a play place (video, sound, etc) or you will regret it because they won't understand if they are to get ready in there or if they are to have fun in there. I agree with no tv's in the bedrooms as well.

Oh, I have a 5 and a 7 year old so I have some experience.

Guest no-control

I have a 10 month old and 13 y/o my advice is avoid having kids if you value sleep, logical thinking, not repeating yourself 7 times a minute. Somehow baby girl can cry n fuss for 2 hours then crack a smile and it's suddenly all good with Dad. Same with the boy but the hormones took over and now I have a greazy eating machine in the house...

On to the issue!

Since I happen to work in this field...IMO for the couple of bucks it would cost I would run a conduit to the attic and pull box with a blank cover plate. If you never use it you're out what $10? If you ever decide to put something that requires a connection you'll be in business.

I have 3 kids and, like one of the earlier posters, don't put TVs in their bedroom or playroom. (that's what the FAMILY media room is for in my house) That being said, I have a home automation system (by Control4) as well as in-wall/ceiling surround sound in a few places.

I have told my installer: Anytime you run any type of wire through my walls, run network cable along with it, if there is not already network access at the destination. While I don't immediately have a need for wired access in my kids' bathroom, I'd probably be ok w/ putting a jack there in an inconspicuous place if the walls were already open.

wow.. after pulling 12/3 electric to the bath room yesterday and today I thought I would only have 2 replys at best.

After reading your posts I think the best thing to do is run the cat6 to both rooms one for my baby monitor in the Bedroom and then if I need them for other services in the future ill have them in the bathroom. Since my house uses wireless and wired cisco cams with WHS ill toss one as a monitor in the bedroom and keep a dead feed in the bath.

I was thinking in 4 years everything will be wireless like HDMI, but look how long it took wireless N to finally get ratified! I thank you all for your opinions and I take them to heart... No one knows more then one with experience; computers or new borns.

My family thanks you and I wish I could spend more time helping others.. Think I need to get the OK to put the Home Server Show's logo on my race car this year just to show my thanks. PM me if that's OK =)

Thank You
CD ... Bill

Best of luck with the kid! Train 'em up right.
Regarding Wireless, I'm not a big fan of wireless for non-mobile applications. Wireless won't ever be faster, cheaper, or more reliable as cables. Then again, I like my cables. For Christmas, my wife made me a shirt that says "got cables?". Heh.