RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
JerryW

Home Server Status - VISTA/XP

JerryW

Man, those were the days! Tandy, Commodore, The old modems that ran at 300baud using punter protocol, punch cards on ncr mainframes. I think I got more excited about tech in those days then I do now. Don't get me wrong, I am a techie and I love to experiment, etc. but it just doesn't seem as fun any more or maybe better words would be that it is not the same fun as in those days.

msawyer91

Wow Jerry that brings back some good memories. I ran a BBS for years on T.A.G. BBS software. It started out on a meager PC...IBM PS/1 with a 10 MHz 80286, 1 MB memory and a 30 MB HDD. But the modem blazed along at a whopping 2400 baud. It took a week to illegally download Windows 3.0 on floppy disk because of the daily time limit of 60 minutes. Now we don't hesitate about downloading a 1 GB file!!!

msawyer91

We'll set it up next to my functional Kaypro II :D

Let's do it! Heathkit, TRS-80 and Kaypro. Wow, we'll be able to start the Home Server Show Computer Museum. how much should we charge for admission?

jmwills

If you can produce a 5.25" floppy, you get in free!

JerryW

I am truly enjoying this conversation. Maybe too much! @Matt, I remember those days. I pulled some stunts in my time. We use to do phone phreaking and get phone codes to call long distance BBS systems. We built a little box to help us and would go down this train trestle to a switching station, connect up there. Camp out all night and download as much as we could. I remember one of the games I had was Bruce Lee. I never could finish the game because you had to find an apple and on my monochrome screen, well, I couldn't see it. :blink:

ikon

I have 2 trays full of 5.25" floppies, with various versions of CP/M and different software.

msawyer91

I am truly enjoying this conversation. Maybe too much! @Matt, I remember those days. I pulled some stunts in my time. We use to do phone phreaking and get phone codes to call long distance BBS systems. We built a little box to help us and would go down this train trestle to a switching station, connect up there. Camp out all night and download as much as we could. I remember one of the games I had was Bruce Lee. I never could finish the game because you had to find an apple and on my monochrome screen, well, I couldn't see it. :blink:

Ah yes, the monochrome screen, or what we as kids would call the "green screen." I had one of those! The first computer I ever had I got for Christmas in 1988. My parents bought me a Laser 128 from Sears; it was an Apple ][ clone, which I found out in more recent years (thanks to Wikipedia @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_128) was actually an unauthorized clone. VTech, maker of the Laser 128, actually won the litigation Apple filed against them. That computer had a single 5.25" floppy drive, and there was only one program that I couldn't get to run on it (since the Laser was a clean room clone, it didn't "perfectly" emulate the Apple ROM). There are days when I miss that computer...it had some fun stuff and it was remarkably simple.

Little did my parents know that they were creating a monster. :)

msawyer91

If you can produce a 5.25" floppy, you get in free!

And if you can produce an 8" floppy, you get a $5 voucher to the museum gift shop and snack bar!

ikon

And if you can produce an 8" floppy, you get a $5 voucher to the museum gift shop and snack bar!

Dang, I threw out my last 8" floppies a couple of years ago. :(

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Dang, I threw out my last 8" floppies a couple of years ago. :(

...but you kept the 5.25" floppies? Where is the logic in that?