RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Building array's of more than 8 drives

jimmydrac

Hello all. First let me say thanks to everyone here for some great information. I am currently using WHS V1. I have 4 2TB Seagate LP drives which are almost filled with no duplication. I have almost everything backed up offline. I am interested in migrating to WHS 2011 but of course the whole "DE Thing". LOL! I am not here to start a flame war, just need some quick info. I see here that many people are going the Raid 5 route with Highpoint cards, like the 2680 or the 2720. Now my problem is that I know I will need more than 8 drives. I currently have the 4 2TB in the WHS now, and have 6 more empty Seagate LP 2TB that I purchased before the price jump. I have read on Newegg reviews where people could not use more than 1 of Highpoint's cards at a time, and could not intermix them either. A 2680 and a 2720 for example. My question is if anyone knows FOR SURE if the Highpoint cards will work with this intel expander card RES2SV240. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816117207. If the controller card would see all the drives connected to the expander and allow me to build an array using ALL of them, this would solve my problem. But I can't build a system where I am limited at 8 drives in the array. I know Highpoint has controller cards with 6 SAS connectors, but there are EXPENSIVE. Trying to keep costs down. I know it won't be cheap, but I am not willing to pay 600-800 for what WHS V1 does now.

Thanks

JB

I would be surprised if it's impossible to have more than one RocketRaid in a system. I can understand that you will likely have to change the config of the one that you don't want to boot from. If you want to boot from something other than the RocketRaid cards (e.g. an IcyDock RAID) I would imagine it would be best to config both of the RR's to not be bootable. Caveat: I don't own any RR cards, but I've used many brands of RAID cards, including SCSI types, and I've always been able to have multiple cards in a single system. So, don't give up hope yet: no doubt pcdoc or no-control can give you the low down on using multiple RR cards.

I have set up raid array's before, but I have never used more than 1 card for it. I am just going off what other users on newegg and other sites have said about Highpoint cards. I would be happy if they were wrong, or maybe they didn't know how to configure them properly.

As I said, I suspect there could be issues if more than one card is set as bootable. In theory, even that should work, but I've seen problems with such arrangements in the past.

Guest no-control

Yes you can use 2 RAID cards. At minimum you'll need to create at least 2 separate arrays though. You can also use one of these and a SAS expander as well.

BTW I didn't see anything on newegg stating that.

On the other end you could go for something like this http://www.lsi.com/products/storagecomponents/Pages/MegaRAIDSAS9280-24i4e.aspx

With 24 Internal drives supported and 240 drives total it should hold you off for a bit.

or for about half you could get http://www.lsi.com/products/storagecomponents/Pages/MegaRAIDSAS9260-16i.aspx which supports 16 devices internal plus 128 total.

but for about 450 you could get a RocketRaid 2740 which buy itself supports 16 drives

Considering you would have to buy two raid cards, I would go with the 2740 ($449) as yodafett stated which handles 16 Sata 2/3 drives. A little more money but in the long run will be less hassle. The problem is not running multiple cards it is more how your BIOS will handle it. Test your mother board first then that will answer your quest. I will be facing the same dilemma soon and plan on going the 2740 route.

BTW I didn't see anything on newegg stating that.

It was a review for the 2760. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115095. The reviewer states that you can't use 2 highpoint cards together. This is the problem I am running into. I only want 1 array with around 20 drives in the array. I will be starting at with 10, and then adding to the array as needed. I am not really wanting to go the UNRAID route, again not trying to start a flame war, and from experience I know that hardware raid is better, but I can't seem to find a cost effective way to to build a 20 drive array without a controller card that is 600-800 dollars. I was just curious about the 2720 card and expanders as I had never heard of anyone using them together to build a single array.

there is a highpoint that supports 24 but it is around 850. Also most raid cards I know need you to have a GUID Uefi partition if above 8 drives