RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

VirtualBox Pass-through not compatible with WHS 2011?

nlitend1

I have my WHS 2011 running in a VM with virtuabox and everything seems to be running great. I just have one issue that I can't seem to figure out.

Pass through disks show up in the VM and I'm able to move folders to the disk and/or create new folders on the disk via the dashboard, but after reboot the created folders are no longer listed in the dashboard and the folders that were moved to the drive also become 'missing'. When i go to recreate them, i'm able to do it on the same passthrough drive (so again the disk is visible to the OS but just not showing up in the dashboard and the file structure), but again it all 'resets' to 'missing' after reboot. Any ideas?

One additional thing i noticed (may be unrelated) is that copying files to the passthrough disks (from another pc on the network) causes file corruption when using teracopy, but not when using built in windows file copying.

Thanks,

nlitend1

Thanks for the replies guys. I will look into the file transfer software. I liked teracopy because of the speed,ntegration into windows, and on-the-fly CRC checking, but i'll check on the others.

I'm most concerned about the pass-through disks not working for WHS folders. Has anyone been able to use a pass-through disk for server folders in WHS 2011? I'm not sure why they would disappear from the system/shares, even though they're still registered and accessible in the VM. What could get reset during reboot?

TeraCopy is good. As for the VM issue, sorry, I'm not sure; I've kinda given up on VM's as being too much trouble (i.e. taking up too much time). I'm getting old; I don't have that much time to waste :)

Thanks for the replies guys. I will look into the file transfer software. I liked teracopy because of the speed,ntegration into windows, and on-the-fly CRC checking, but i'll check on the others.

I'm most concerned about the pass-through disks not working for WHS folders. Has anyone been able to use a pass-through disk for server folders in WHS 2011? I'm not sure why they would disappear from the system/shares, even though they're still registered and accessible in the VM. What could get reset during reboot?

I have and did not have any problems with it. I was using s2008r2 though.