RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
ikon

windows home server 2011 and uninterruptable power supply

sakilgor

This works for me, hope it helps:

• Set bios to power on after power failure.
  • Also in the bios turn off all wake-on settings, especially wake-on-lan.
  • Connect UPS (mine is a CyberPower 1350AVR) to the server via USB.
  • Install the CyberPower software, PowerPanel Personal (not sure this is needed, but it was part of my process and seems to work fine).
  • Set the Runtime tab to Preserve Battery Power and 1 minute.
  • Logoff (i.e., leave server at the Ctrl-Alt-Delete prompt). For me this was mandatory. If I allowed the server hibernate while logged in, it would never come out of hibernation!
  • Unplug UPS.
  • After the 1-minute timeout the UPS will send the hibernate command, and the server will shut down.
  • After another minute or two the UPS will shut down. (My UPS waits 2:30 between sending the hibernate and shutting itself down, presumably to give the server plenty of time to shut down. My server takes 45 seconds to hibernate, which leaves a "danger window" of 1:45 -- more on this later.)
  • Once the UPS has completely shut down, the server will finally sense a power outage.
  • Plug the UPS back in. Once it sends power to the server, the server will restart due to the bios setting in step 1 above.

IF the power happens to come back on during the 1:45 "danger window," the server will never have seen a power failure, so it will remain in hibernation until you press the power button. (Not good if you are not there to press it!) Although the "danger window" is not long, it looms nonetheless. Because of this I set the Runtime to Keep Computer Running until remaining battery runtime is 5 minutes. This gives me the best chance the power will come back up before hibernation is ever initiated.

If anyone from CyberPower reads this, please change your algorithm such that once the hibernate command has been sent, always continue the UPS shutdown timer/sequence to completion. Go ahead and shut down (i.e., remove power from the server) for at least a few seconds, even if AC power happens to come back on during the sequence. This would eliminate the "danger window" and ensure that the server would always come back up after any power failure.

sakilgor

Update: When power is restored during the "danger window," the UPS does eventually cycle the power off and back on, presumably to awaken the server. Unfortunately the off/on cycle is too short for the capacitors on the MB to drain, so it never really goes off. (i.e., light on board never goes out). Oh well...

ikon

yeah, that can be a problem. My mobo take 15 sec to 20 sec to drain. It's also a pain when I'm making changes to the hardware.