RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
ikon

windows home server 2011 and uninterruptable power supply

ikon

Yesterday I discovered yet another APC product failed me - my Back-UPS XS 900 died. It had only been in use for a couple of years. Now, with new batteries, and nothing plugged into it, it says it's overloaded. Just another example of why I dislike APC stuff.

Anyway, although I'm not a huge fan of CyberPower either, I like the idea of their sine-wave products, so I bought a CP1000PFCLCD unit. It's really small. As their advertising says, it will only power a PC for a few minutes. It drains the battery at an alarming (get it, alarming,..... OK, never mind, you're right, it was lame). In any case, I knew about the short battery uptime going in, so it's fine - I'm really after graceful shutdown anyway.

My question has to do with WHS2011 and the UPS. Can anyone tell me why WHS2011 will not shut down, or hibernate, or anything else, even though the System Tray icon clearly shows that the OS knows it's running on battery, and what the battery level is.

I've read posts on the internet from people complaining about Server 2008 losing UPS manageability, but I don't get it. In Advanced Power Options it has options for what to do when running on battery. Why won't the system hibernate or shut down in accordance with the settings?

A related question: does anyone have any info on Grid Junction v2; when it might be available?

JediTim

I also am waiting on Grid Junction for WHS 2011. I am using the Advance Power Options and so far have not had any issues. I use and have several APC units which work without fail until the batter needs to be replaced. Sorry though...not sure why it isn't working for you.

pcdoc

Yesterday I discovered yet another APC product failed me - my Back-UPS XS 900 died. It had only been in use for a couple of years. Now, with new batteries, and nothing plugged into it, it says it's overloaded. Just another example of why I dislike APC stuff.

Anyway, although I'm not a huge fan of CyberPower either, I like the idea of their sine-wave products, so I bought a CP1000PFCLCD unit. It's really small. As their advertising says, it will only power a PC for a few minutes. It drains the battery at an alarming (get it, alarming,..... OK, never mind, you're right, it was lame). In any case, I knew about the short battery uptime going in, so it's fine - I'm really after graceful shutdown anyway.

My question has to do with WHS2011 and the UPS. Can anyone tell me why WHS2011 will not shut down, or hibernate, or anything else, even though the System Tray icon clearly shows that the OS knows it's running on battery, and what the battery level is.

I've read posts on the internet from people complaining about Server 2008 losing UPS manageability, but I don't get it. In Advanced Power Options it has options for what to do when running on battery. Why won't the system hibernate or shut down in accordance with the settings?

A related question: does anyone have any info on Grid Junction v2; when it might be available?

Did you go into the power settings and set it to shut down? The default sleep/hibernate do not work.

ikon

Did you go into the power settings and set it to shut down? The default sleep/hibernate do not work.

Thanks. I did set it to shutdown. How nice of MS to include another feature that doesn't work.

I think it may be working now. I'm not certain because I also implemented a Powershell script that someone posted that's supposed to monitor WMI for going onto battery power and shut down the system. The system does shut down now; I'm just not sure what's doing it. Because I have zero Powershell experience, I'm not even sure how to check if the script is running or not, and if it is running, if it's successful.

I would also like to have this server auto-power on after a power failure, for when we're away from home. So far it's an epic fail. I set the BIOS to auto-start on resumption of AC power, but it seems the UPS is preventing it from working.

I pull the UPS plug from the wall and the server shuts down. Unfortunately, when I plug the UPS back in, the server does not start up, no doubt because the BIOS never lost power, since it was fed by the UPS all along. The only way I seem to be able to get the system to auto-start is to unplug it and wait for the LED on the mobo to go out; then it starts up just fine after being plugged back in. This means the only way it would work with the UPS is for the power to be out long enough for the UPS to die.

Well, that's not all that likely to happen. Most of the time the power will go out for a few seconds to a couple of minutes; not long enough for the UPS to die and let the mobo LED go out.

Besides, would the UPS start up again on its own after draining the battery? I haven't tested this yet. Not sure it's worth it if the server won't auto-start anyway.

jmwills

Did you install the software for the UPS? If so, this may be what is interfering with the OS as 2008/7 should handle this feature natively.

ikon

Did you install the software for the UPS? If so, this may be what is interfering with the OS as 2008/7 should handle this feature natively.

No, I avoided that like the plague :) It appears the feature built into Windows is flakey. As pcdoc said, "don't use hibernate/sleep, it doesn't work". OK MS, then why is it there?

jmwills

From my own experience, the UPS is just a safety net to allow you to safely shut down a system. How is a system going to hibernate or sleep if there is no power available, providing the UPS battery expires?

ikon

Sleep is out of the question simply because the system never actually turns off. Hibernation is possible, since the system saves a copy of its current state to HD then shuts down. On bootup it restores the hibernated state.

Guest no-control

Those options are there because its part of the Windows base kernal. therefore other items that use battery (like Laptops) can use sleep/hibernate for low/no power situations. You could set it to to go to sleep at say 5% of battery and it'll sleep using the remaining 5% this allows for quick wakeup once charging is complete or you've found a wired power source.

As for your issues I got nuthin' sorry.

ikon

Those options are there because its part of the Windows base kernal. therefore other items that use battery (like Laptops) can use sleep/hibernate for low/no power situations. You could set it to to go to sleep at say 5% of battery and it'll sleep using the remaining 5% this allows for quick wakeup once charging is complete or you've found a wired power source.

As for your issues I got nuthin' sorry.

S'OK; some problems are intractable... that's life. :)