RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Easy way to replace WHS2011 OS Drive

I agree with ikon since the partition is still good and viable use something like clonezilla or PartedMagic to copy/clone and fix your partitions.

Thanks I used CloneZilla last night and today i'm restoring it to test that it works then will work on my backup problem then if that all works I will put back the Icy Dock

no need to put it in if I have other problems and a backup of the OS

Glad you got CZ figured out. And really glad you're doing a test restore. Knowing I can restore from a backup always boosts my level of confidence when I'm troubleshooting something. Please keep use updated on your progress.

Well I was able to get my os back on without any probelms. My problem still seems to be with my Icy Dock. I have now done about 5 backup's restore and recovery type things. every one worked without a problem this was with changing drives doing all types of stuff. I will now not be having the Icy Dock in my system I was thinking of maybe doing my raid 1 from my moatherboard but at this time feel I will just keep my extra OS drive as a cold spare.

As long as you have a bacup copy of your System partiion and OS drive it only takes me about 2hrs to restore.

Mind you the first backup of your OS drive after doing a recovery seems to take me about 6-8hrs don't know why but just let it do it's thing and now I have no problems

Is that 2 hours using CZ? That seems a bit long.

I would go with the mobo RAID1. 'Course, I'm biased since that's what I'm doing with my WHS2011.

Well I have my OS partition and a data partition on the same drive the data would have been my most important stuff that was why I had it on a Raid1 configuration. but yes for the do partitions it takes me about 2hrs from start to Finnish give. It’s a 750gb drive with the 60gb for OS and the rest for data but it only has about 200gb of data a current time.

As things are once again stable and it's take me over a week I’m going to let things just run like this for a week or so then look at using the MB Raid1

Well I have my OS partition and a data partition on the same drive the data would have been my most important stuff that was why I had it on a Raid1 configuration. but yes for the do partitions it takes me about 2hrs from start to Finnish give. It’s a 750gb drive with the 60gb for OS and the rest for data but it only has about 200gb of data a current time.

As things are once again stable and it's take me over a week I’m going to let things just run like this for a week or so then look at using the MB Raid1

OK, that makes more sense. I was thinking 2 hours to restore less than 60 GB, but if it's over 200 GB it makes a lot more sense.