RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Easy way to replace WHS2011 OS Drive

Kman

I'm looking for an easy way to backup my OS Drive and restore back onto my ICY DOCK (MB982SPR-2S).

When I first built my system I used the Icy Dock that then failed. I removed the Icy Dock from the system and just ran one drive direct. This is how I have been running for the last month or so in order to get the Icy Dock RMA'd.

During the time waiting for my RMA Icy dock I had used the 2nd drive that I had in it for other duties.

Now when I got it back I thought I would just be able to put the dirve running my WHS2011 back into it and add my 2nd drive and I would be backup and running.

Well I'm not that lucky seems like it wants me to recreate my Raid1 setup on it. The only way I can see doing this will make me loose all data on the current OS drive.

I'm looking for suggestions of anything better then deleting what I have, creating the raid1 on the icy dock then reloading from CD and once up then restore from backup and hope it sees that existing stuff and restore from bacup?

1. Boot up into your existing single drive installation.
  2. Use the Server 2008 built in backup (All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Windows Server Backup) to back up the OS drive to another drive (so it will create an image of the OS drive). I used an external USB2 drive.
  3. Replace the single drive with your IcyDock.
  4. Boot up into WHS2011 install.
  5. Choose the bottom option that offers to restore from an image.
  6. Restore the image to your IcyDock.
  7. Boot up from IcyDock.

Ikon's steps worked find for me to when I had the same issue (broken RAID bay). Only thing I would add is some add-ins save data to the system drive so you may want to disable them before the backup so there's no changes while the backup happens.

Ikon's steps worked find for me to when I had the same issue (broken RAID bay). Only thing I would add is some add-ins save data to the system drive so you may want to disable them before the backup so there's no changes while the backup happens.

Good point. I don't currently have any add-ins so it hasn't been an issue, but it's something to remember.

Thanks seem my problems keep coming. Now I try and do a backup like you mention but keep getting "there is not enough disk space to create the volume shadow copy....."

the thing is my c: Drive has less then 30Gb and D has less then 200Gb trying to backup to my USB 1Tb drive?

I see that I was getting this on my regular backup starting from last night.

I would like to make sure I get a full System backup working before I try what you had mentioned

let me know if you have any suggestions

I looked in my event viewer and find the following

The backup operation that started at '‎2011‎-‎11‎-‎06T20:09:11.173000000Z' has failed because the Volume Shadow Copy Service operation to create a shadow copy of the volumes being backed up failed with following error code '2155348249'. Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.

When I look at Shadow Copies

I noticed that Shadow Copies is disabled on my System partition? Is this correct?

I also noticed that System Partition only has 3.79Mb free of 99.9Mb . Is this correct?

Seems I only have this problem when I try to include Baremetel backup in my backup set

Edited by Kman

KMan, found this for Windows 2008 which says the 100MB partition needs 50MB free and has some work arounds and deletion suggestions. I checked mine and it's only using 37MB and shadow copies are off. Can't say I've tried these steps myself.

I looked in my event viewer and find the following

The backup operation that started at '‎2011‎-‎11‎-‎06T20:09:11.173000000Z' has failed because the Volume Shadow Copy Service operation to create a shadow copy of the volumes being backed up failed with following error code '2155348249'. Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.

When I look at Shadow Copies

I noticed that Shadow Copies is disabled on my System partition? Is this correct?

I also noticed that System Partition only has 3.79Mb free of 99.9Mb . Is this correct?

Seems I only have this problem when I try to include Baremetel backup in my backup set

I do recall something about low space in the 100MB partition being a problem. One thing I can suggest is to use CloneZilla to do the backup and restore - it won't care how much space is free in the 100MB partition. However, if you have never used CZ, it can't be a little confusing at first.

Well I think for me now that I found my backups not working it's more of a problem to fix this first.

Seems when I was swapping in and out hard drives and doing diffent things I broke my backup of my OS drive

I was able to get a backup of the data part of the OS drive just not the baremetel backup of it

I guess I could risk that this would be fixed if I did a full install then a restore data from the backup.... not the best

So can you guys just tell me when you look at your 100Mb System partition how much free space does it have.... Seems today when I look i'm now up to 31.8mb but from what I have read I need 32mb

So i'm getting close

I have nothing in the Recycle bin

I have the Boot folder and bootmgr, bootsect.bak thse files all together are only 14mb

So it looks like I have a problem with a folder called "System Volume Information"

this folder is locked and I tried to give myself rights to it but can't or am not doing it correctly.

I can't even get the size of the folder but i'm guessing it's my missing / needed space

I also noticed that the drive seems to have 45mb of unallocated space? do you think it's safe to try and add some of the 45mb of space to the 100mb system partition?

Edited by Kman

If it was me, at this point I would be reaching for my CloneZilla USB stick to make a full clone image of the OS drive. You can still boot the system, right? If so, then CZ could make it so you don't have to reinstall.