RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

FrostyKev

I currently run a primarily XP based network. NAS Server, with XP Pro, primarily for video storage. I have SageTV running on another PC and distributed via extenders to a couple of locations in the house. My wife has a mac-mini and I have my work computer, a macbook Pro. I don't want to mess with much of that.

What I do want to do is start using either thin clients or ncomputing nodes (L300 etc) to provide terminals for my kids (and maybe replace my wife's mac mini too)

While reading/researching I'm finding myself a bit confused. Can WHS support virtual desktops for the L300, or do I have to go to windows multipoint server? The cost difference appears HUGE.

If I go thin client, with embedded OS, is that more where the WHS would play?

Ultimate goal, leave my SageTV alone for now, replace any kid/parent computer with either thin client/alternative and have that manageable by ME. The # of computers I'm running is getting a bit overwhelming. Other add ons, I wouldn't mind hosting a webpage or two at some point, not huge right now. Would like the latest to be based on Win7 desktops (not sure if WHS11 looks/acts like that)

I've tried searching a bit on this forum, have seen a ton of HTPC topics, not much on thin/ncomputing, but maybe my searching efforts missed something.

Thanks in advance!!!

Grab a TechNet subscription and most of your costs will be reduced "in your testing environment". I thought I had a White paper on the subject. If I find it I will PM you.

Interesting idea for the tech sub. Thanks if you find the White paper too! I'm kindof stuck on the WHS11 support or not for thin clients. Does the thin client allow you to utilize WHS11 or do you still need to go multipoint?

Grab a TechNet subscription and most of your costs will be reduced "in your testing environment". I thought I had a White paper on the subject. If I find it I will PM you.

Two different animals. MultiPoint is more of a "kiosk" type design where you would have multiple monitors and keyboards connected to one central server. Thin Client, as I understand it, is really the Win7 version of Windows embedded. A scaled down version with not many extras.

I have a 7 Thin Client running in a VM just to see what it would do. Nothing special...no frills. My thoughts would be to run one to record TV with an external tuner.

So I think you are close to answering my question.

If your running 7 thin clients, do you need a WHS as a backend, or can any WIN7/XP or NAS box do?

On the thin clients can you upgrade the OS, either security updates or full xp-win7?

I'm looking to use the thin clients primarily to use for kids machines, maybe wife too.

What is this thin client of which you speak? Obviously I've heard of thin client as a concept, and have even used some of the hardware ones, like those from Wyse, but I had no idea MS makes one. It sounds interesting in that it might be a good fit for my wife's puter. Can anyone provide more details, or have a link to some?

The actual name is "Windows Thin PC" which is the Windows 7 version of XP Embedded. It was available as a trial on Microsoft Connect but it is definitely available on TechNet.

I tested out Multipoint Server beta a while ago and wrote something here, http://theaverageguy...rver-2011-beta/ My setup was using multple videocards on one server, the separate monitors, keyboard/mouse through hubs.

As jmwills says, best to get a copy from a technet subscription, you can also get the Windows 7 thin PC images there. I also got a Windows Office 2010 with Terminal Service license, that allowed me to install only 1 copy of Office 2010 on the server and remote in from multiple PC's.

I also read that you can add a WHS2011 machine to the mix for data stoarge and/or backups.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• E3000
      By E3000
      Hello all,

A few questions for those who use Type-1 Hypervisors on their Gen8 MicroServers...

I am looking to try ESXi or ProxMox and have been reading a lot of the threads on here.
      Hopefully you guys can help with some harder to find answers I have been seeking.

1) Which would be the better way to setup ProxMox:
           a) Hypervisor on Internal MicroSD, VMs installed on SSD in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.
           b) Hypervisor on Internal USB, VMs installed on SSD in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.
           c) Hypervisor and VMs both installed on same SSD (partitioned?) in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.
           d) Hypervisor on SSD using a USB-to-SATA cable on Internal USB, VMs installed on separate SSD in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.

2) Would a 128GB SSD be a ‘waste‘ for installing a Hypervisor on? How much space is typically needed?

3) How many VMs have you guys run on a Gen8 comfortably without it being sluggish?

4) Everyone seems to be going RAID crazy these days. Is there any reason to use it if high-availability is not that necessary and a good backup plan is in place? What is wrong with separate disks (or singular Raid0s)?

5) Does using Type-1 Hypervisors have any effect on the internal fans speed/noise? Is it possible to have 3-5 VMs running and still have the fan speed @~8% as it was when I was using 2 nested (Type-2) VMs?

Sorry in advance if some of these questions are silly, common knowledge, or “depends on what you are doing in the VMs!” 😆

Thanks in advance to all those that help!
    • MarkFlagman
      By MarkFlagman
      Hi, everyone!
      Hoping someone can help me out with this one!
      I have a simple RDS setup of 2 servers. One is the connection broker/gateway etc (RDS001), and the other is the session host (RDS002). These are both Server 2012 R2, in the same OU, with the same GPO's applied.
      I am using HP T510 clients (running ThinPro 5.2), with an RDP connection to the farm address (rds.domain.local). The connection is working fine, however usb devices (ie memory stick) will not redirect to the session host. All the redirection options in the collection properties are ticked. Audio redirects to the client with no problem. 
      I have also tried connecting directly to the session host (RDS002) with no difference. 
      I believe the redirect settings on the T510 to be correct, as if i set up another rdp connection from the client to another server or even the connection broker (RDS001) , the usb device i have plugged to the client redirects fine. 
      So, it seems as though it is only the session host (which is where i actually want to redirect a device to..lol) having this problem. 
      However, if i connect to the session host from a windows 10 pc, everything redirects as expected - just not from the t510!
      Any help appreciated!
    • Dave
      By Dave
      I've been a big fan of this product and have it running in my home.  It's now $20 off if you follow this link.

http://mbsy.co/circlemedia/mccabeio

There is an Amazon link to buy it and December 17th to 22nd it will also be $20 off on the Circle website.  So heads up!

Take a look at the video below for a better understanding of what it can do for you.  In my house, if anything hops on my wifi the box will notify me immediately.  I've set it up so anything that jumps on is put in a KID friendly profile.  I look at what they are seeing on their iPads and can turn off apps. YouTube, Safari, App Store = Off.

• Lundgrens
      By Lundgrens
      Hey!

What is the state of PCI passthrough on the Gen8? Hardware wise it supports IOMMU/VT-d, but I've heard people have had problems with PCI passthrough still.

Is it possible to passthrough the RAID controller to a virtual machine in ESXi or KVM?

Is it possible to passthrough a GPU to a virtual machine in ESXi or KVM?
    • ThePoulsen
      By ThePoulsen
      Hi All

I'm currently planning a new business venture (I'm going to build a strategy execution platform for medium sized businesses) for this I am currently trying to decide if I want to host the tool myself, or move it to the cloud.

The features I plan on running (possibly on individual virtual clients)
      NAS for backup (mirror towards an existing HP microserver gen8 for extra backup) One or more database servers (Postgresql) Mail server for one or more domains DNS server Web server for one or more websites FTP server one or more development clients for testing purposes. The Web app will be an Apache/Python Flask/postgresql LAMP stack. I am not anticipating thousands of concurrent users, but plan on selling locally (Denmark) where a success would be 100-200 daily users. so the load will be relatively small.

I am looking at several dell servers, and I am having a hard time sizing my requirements.

would a Xeon E3-1245V5 be sufficient for 5-15 virtual machines given 64 GB memory
      which RAID level should I be looking into? speed should not be an issue, so I am thinking that a simple mirror between two drives should be suficcient, combined with external clone.

Any thoughts?