Case: SilverStone GD03B.

PSU: 650W, Coolermaster GX RS650-ACA

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-D163C 16x DVD-ROM SATA

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-HA65M-D2H-B3 H61 Socket 1155

CPU: Intel Core i3 2100 3.10GHz

Cooler: Scythe Shuriken Quiet Low Profile

RAM: Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz XMS3

For OS:

RAID: Icy Dock MB982SPR-2S Dual 2.5" to 3.5" (RAID 1)

Drives: 2 x 250GB Western Digital WD2500BUDT

For Storage: Highpoint 2680SGL RocketRAID.

I have not listed the data drives yet as this is where my questions start.

I have managed to obtain 2 x 2tb WD Green Drives, just as the supply was cut-off and that's all I can get for the time being.

In my WHS V1 I have (other than the OS & backup drives) 2 x 1.5tb drives which hold my data. Reducing the file duplication factor then this could be viewed as circa 1.6 tb of unique data. Therefore I can easily copy this across to the new data drives on the WHS 2011.

So I could put the new 2 tb drives in a RAID 1 array and copy across with no space problems. However, I would like to then re-purpose the 2 x 1.5Tb drives into the new build.

It would be nice to be able to "Add" them to the RAID 1 array, but I don't know if this will be possible? I assume I can't go RAID 5 due to different drive capacities?

It would be nice to end up with a single "Volume" that could be expanded, but not sure if this will be possible. Any help gratefully received, thank you.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StanHD

• pcdoc

• ikon

Guest no-control

It would be nice to be able to "Add" them to the RAID 1 array, but I don't know if this will be possible? I assume I can't go RAID 5 due to different drive capacities?

It would be nice to end up with a single "Volume" that could be expanded, but not sure if this will be possible. Any help gratefully received, thank you.

Its a RAID 1 so no need to add. You just break the array and reconfigure. Yes you can use RAID5 but its not recommended it might be fairly stable if the platters are all the same size. In your situation I would just RAID1 the 2x 2TB drives and wait until you can obtain a 3rd. Once you have a 3rd you can simply break the RAID1 and create the RAID 5 using the other 2 drives.

Its a RAID 1 so no need to add. You just break the array and reconfigure. Yes you can use RAID5 but its not recommended it might be fairly stable if the platters are all the same size. In your situation I would just RAID1 the 2x 2TB drives and wait until you can obtain a 3rd. Once you have a 3rd you can simply break the RAID1 and create the RAID 5 using the other 2 drives.

Thank you, that's a good plan. That will work well going forward. I will re-purpose the 1.5tb drives as stand alone back-up drives for Keepvault and server backup. Just need WD to get back into production !!. Got all the stuff, so ready to start building. Cheers.

Remember the 2680 will migrate from one raid type to the other. Start with two sets of mirrors, than when the price comes back down, add two more 2T and migrate and expand your 2T mirror into a 4 drive RAID 5 then just keep expanding as required.

Remember the 2680 will migrate from one raid type to the other. Start with two sets of mirrors, than when the price comes back down, add two more 2T and migrate and expand your 2T mirror into a 4 drive RAID 5 then just keep expanding as required.

I saw mention of this in the specs but didn't realise exactly what it could do. Just the job thanks for the advice much appreciated.

If you check out my video on RAID expansion, except for the disk initialization, it is the same process. The difference is you select a different RAID configuration from the drop down and it migrate to the new array type.

pcdocJust watched that through, Very helpful plus it gave me a first look at the RAID browser interface. I managed to assemble most of the hardware last night and hope to start on the cabling today. This is my first build of a Server and as when I built my HTPC you guys filled in all the gaps. All good info thank you.

pcdocJust watched that through, Very helpful plus it gave me a first look at the RAID browser interface. I managed to assemble most of the hardware last night and hope to start on the cabling today. This is my first build of a Server and as when I built my HTPC you guys filled in all the gaps. All good info thank you.

Glad we could help. Couple of suggestions. Do everything from the browser not the BIOS as it you can tune the speed. Before you start anything, go into the settings and set the rebuild priority to "highest". Then build away...

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

OK, had to drive 200 mile round trip but got hold of 2 more drives. Using pcdoc's video I have initiated the migration of a 2 disk RAID 1 to a 3 Disk RAID 5. I plan to use the 4th drive as a "Hot Spare". 38% complete and going well (I assume). Here are a few low-res (ipad) pics taken before the additional 2 x 2 Tb drives were added:-

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

OK, had to drive 200 mile round trip but got hold of 2 more drives. Using pcdoc's video I have initiated the migration of a 2 disk RAID 1 to a 3 Disk RAID 5. I plan to use the 4th drive as a "Hot Spare". 38% complete and going well (I assume). Here are a few low-res (ipad) pics taken before the additional 2 x 2 Tb drives were added:-

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

Awesome, glad to hear you got it going. Pretty easy in the grander scheme of things. Interesting case for the server. Nice choice on the 3Ware cables you are using. I found them better than the Highpoint ones as they are more pliable and are available in .5M. Let us know when you are done.