RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Remote Access, File Rollback, Storage locations

foy1der

Hey guys,
I have a questions that relates to something that you mentioned in one of your recent podcasts. I would like to be able to access files remotely, but I would also be able to rollback a file if something gets screwed up. So if I am storing the file on the server and I overwrite it with a bad copy, I can't go into the PC backups to get "yesterday's" file back. Is there a way that I can store a file on client PC and still access it remotely? I would consider using synctoy, but AFAIK, that's not automatic and isn't that the whole point of having the WHS?

I do this in a rudimentary way but it does work. I have a free backup program installed (on my media centre P.C because I am scared to install most things on my home server) that copys all of my crucial data (not movies) to a folder on the home server called backup. I have access to this folder as I do with any other folder on the server but the beauty is that it is local and up to 24 hours old which buys you a day if anything goes wrong.
Some programs can even do a "day of the week" backup which will create a copy of the data each day for seven days in subfolders called "mon", "tue" etc , this will give you seven days to identify and fix a problem.
As far as automating it goes , I have just setup a scheduled task to run it at the same time each day.

I am using time traveler for the file version capabilities. When it works, it works well. I have had some problems and just installed the latest version tonight. Hopefully it will take care of the issues I have seen.

I am using Dropbox for syncing my files to different computers. You get 2GB for free. Dropbox has a undo feature and you can access your files on any computer with a web browser.

Just turn on Shadow Copy on the server and then put your files in a network share. That'll solve both your problems.