RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Looking to build new whs

Ikk

My current whs(which I built) has started to act up and I think it is time for an upgrade. One thing I am not sure about is if I should just stay with whs V1, or spend the 50 bucks and upgrade as well? Its been sometime since I built a system as I have moved manily to laptops, so I am alittle behind of the times on whats out there. I have been looking through the diffrent sites and have decided on some hardware. I plan on using some of the parts of my old machine when possible to keep cost down. This machine will be use for streaming my ripped movies as well as ripping dvd and transcoding Playon and ofcourse backing up my pic as well as PC's. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

Items I currently have from my current whs system

Antec 550 Watt Neo HE

3 5400 WD Green drives

Items looking to buy:

MSI H67MA-E35 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9S-4GBRL

Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz 2 x 256KB L2 Cache 3MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core

LIAN LI PC-V354B Black Aluminum MicroATX Mini Tower

Edited by Ikk

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• ikon

• Mike Eckman

• Ikk

I currently have Three 2 terrabyte HD. I also have a 4th 2 terrabyte external HD that I put my ripped Music and Movies on. I think for the time being the Server will house all my Pictures and 3 laptop and 1 desktop backup. as well as mics scanned items like magazine articles and importent documents on the total 6 terrabytes server.

Setup looks good. Suggest you stay away from exteranals but the rest looks great. Look forward to seeing the build.

I was in a similar situation as you this past summer. I had an HP Mediasmart server running WHSv1 and knew I wanted to build an all new server in a new case, but the dilemma was whether or not to stick with v1 or go with 2011. Back then WHS2011 was $100, not $50 like it is today, so you have an easier decision than I had! :)

In the end, I went with 2011 and couldn't be happier. I moved away from the drive pooling technology and am very happy I went with a RAID setup. It'll cost you a little more money up front, but its a much more secure setup.

Oh, one more thing to consider.

4GB is sufficient memory for WHS2011 to host your media files and perform simple backups and such.

However, if you think you might expand the usefulness of your server, such as hosting your own website, streaming audio and/or video to web-based or smartphone-based clients, or running a Bitorrent/Usenet downloader, you may want to consider upping that amount to 8GB.

I originally had 4GB as well and noticed my swap file usage was high when I started adding on additional responsibilities to the server.

However, for just the basics, 4GB is fine.

Yeah that is why I qm getting a stick of 4 gigs of ram and can get another one if I need in the future. My biggest concern was the motherboard. As I have not built a pc for a while I wanted to make sure I am getting something worth the money. I am always up for suggestions of better components I just dont want to spend a ton of money as I need to buy the wife a new laptop as well.

I suggest you stick with v1 even if 2011 was free. Just peruse these forums and you will see that 2011 is a half baked product. Too many bugs and other issues to deal with at this time. If you don't like DE, just don't add the drives to the pool in v1. Good luck and look forward to hearing what you decide.

Guest no-control

I suggest you stick with v1 even if 2011 was free. Just peruse these forums and you will see that 2011 is a half baked product. Too many bugs and other issues to deal with at this time. If you don't like DE, just don't add the drives to the pool in v1. Good luck and look forward to hearing what you decide.

That is YOUR opinion. It works fine for most of us.

Are you sure your name isn't Steve Gibson? :lol:

Setup looks good. Suggest you stay away from exteranals but the rest looks great. Look forward to seeing the build.

I love typos: exter-anals. :D