RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Remote Desktop from WHS console to windows 7 Home Premium

luke fairbank

I installed Windows 7 home premium a few months back and was very disapointed to find that it did not have remote desktop support.
I really wanted to be able to remote desktop into this P.C from my WHS console as I already do with my windows xp netbook.
The issue was that not only did the operating system not support it but WHS knew that it didnt and would not even give me the option.
My solution (which I am very happy with) was to do the following;
Install this patch (http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/t/79427.aspx) and the Autoexit addin which allows you to RDP to a client from a computer list just like you do through the default console.
The beauty of this is that it does not check the operating system and remotes into the P.C locally using the local IP which means no port forwarding either.

What about using Live Mesh? I have Home Premium on all 3 computers because I didn't want to pay just for remote desktop (ethical discussion about hacking it to work not-withstanding), but I use Live Mesh to "remote" into them every day, even to my WHS.

I was using it but there seemed to be a reasonable "overhead" to running it.
The other thing is that I found it to be slower than native remote desktop.

What I was originally looking for was a VNC or logmeinfree Addin for WHS.
It would be awesome if someone wrote one of these, it would just be a list of P.Cs and when you double click on them it connects to the client via the free "access tool".
Logmeinfree is a great program, I was using that too but I wanted it to intergrate with my WHS, you logon to a website , it lists your P.Cs and then connects to them through a browser. It is similar to livemesh but very fast and less intrusive (in my opinion anyway).