RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS2011: Anti-Virus, Anti-Malware Options

Kazz

I'm having difficulty tracking down proper protection software for WHS 2011. Does anyone know of out-and-out supported and successful anti-virus and anti-malware solutions for WHS 2011?

I use MSE on all my in-house PCs along with SpywareBlaster and Spybot Search & Destroy with great success. I have an old SBS 2003 server on which I'm using Rising Anti-Virus due to lack of a bank account for server-based AV. None of my PCs are outright clients of the SBS server nor are they members of its domain, so I don't think the SBS needs more anyway.

I appreciate any suggestions and success stories!

Thanks!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pcdoc

• jmwills

• ikon

• Kazz

Top Posters In This Topic

This forum has several options. I have been using the small business version of AVG without a glitch. The new new file server version 2012 now has direct support for the SBS line of products. Although it does not list WHS 2011 it does list SBS 2011 and the product works fine.

I can do others that work fine. That doesn't sound "supported". And the server versions of most products want a number of clients listed in their licenses and charge accordingly. I simply want server protection, not client protection. So far, I'm tempted to fall back on Clam or Rising.

Thanks for your experience, though.

I think Joe Miner has been using ForeFront (Microsoft) quite successfully. There was a thread started a few weeks back on this subject.

Forefront - other than the trialware version - seems to be something one can only get via Technet? And I've yet to see that it's truly supported on WHS 2011...

I am using Forefront. Tinkerguy did a great walk through on installation.

Not sure if it is available outside of Technet or not

Thanks. Still unsupported from all I can decipher. If I'm forced to go unsupported, it's unlikely I'll pay for it. Rising or Clam will get installed until something truly supported comes out, I think.

The other school of thought is that if the server is only being loaded with files that first pass through from a client, and the client is clean, the server will be clean.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Al_Borges
      By Al_Borges
      still trying to get out from under a situation where my QNAP has been borked

apparently  QNAP NAS'S has been subjected to MALWARE infection

https://www.qnap.com/en-us/security-advisory/nas-201902-13

I still have access to my shares but I cant access most of my apps nor update or install anything

QNAP Tech support responded  and is logged into my machine

This happened after I went ahead and installed firmware update  a week ago 

don't know if I can recover or if I would even trust this box without a full reinitialize

fortunately,  I did a full system backup before the firmware upgrade -  so I have that going for me at least

Something is fishy -  QNAP issued 3 firmware updates during March

So those running QNAP NAS's   take heed

and for you Synology users -    smile, but recheck your security processes !!!

• Al_Borges
      By Al_Borges
      in the QNap app store there are several options for malware/anti virus apps. Ditto for the synology store.   Safe to say other platforms have them also.

but the broader question  are these necessary ?

do you use either Malware protection or Antivirus or both ?

would like to see what the community at large is doing for there NAS's

(whats the plural of NAS ?  NASII ?)

• Joe_Miner
      By Joe_Miner
      I ended up Installing Forefront on Server 8.

ForeFront 2010 would fail on installation so I installed the older version but it was very strange.

Took me forever to find the CMD prompt -- finally went to the C:\Windows\System32 and dug for the CMD.exe then right clicked on it to open it as an Administrator.

You can also get to CMD.EXE (Command Prompt) from the Server Manager =>Tools =>System Configuration=> Tools Tab=> scroll down to Command Prompt => Launch

installed with the command in the Client\x64 folder:
      In the Command Prompt window, change to the location of the Client Security Client folder, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
      clientsetup.exe /NOMOM
      Then went to windows update (after earlier changing it to all Microsoft products) and did the update.

The update went well and it installed then it dissapeared from my service tray on the lower right but it is listed as running in the Services Window -- I just don't know how to open it now!

I used the technique Paul & I discussed in a Forum thread started by PCDoc:
      http://homeserversho...us/page__st__40

Awwww, Just do a Server reboot and the Forefront Icon is where it should be -- a big green happy check mark!