RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Solution for Movies to PS3, XB360?

Currently building a WHS with hopes of using it to stream pictures, videos, and movies to TVs in the house. I do not currently have any HTPCs. However, I have an XBox 360 on one TV and a PS3 on another TV. I also have an unboxed PS3 sitting around.

Anyway, what add-ins and other tech, if any, is capable of streaming to PS3s, XB360s, and/or both?

We also currently have DirecTV DVRs or receivers at each TV. But, I don't know of any way to use them as end-devices for streaming video. I have them configured to share recorded shows to any other receivers (DVR or not) in the house. Any way to leverage them here?

Thanks!

There is no addins att but you can install tversity or ps3 player to stream to your xbox. I am having a problem with my MKV trans-coding to the xbox even with a quad core. The PS3 stream software will stream to both the xbox and the ps3 (i dont remember the actual name of the software att)

You can stream "approved files" to your DTV boxs from a computer no other way to do it. Rt click on the video and select "play to device"

Thanks for the info. I was hoping there was a common codec I could convert them to first. I have AnyDVD, CloneDVD, and CloneDVD2 (mobile? whatever it's called for devices) as well as a myriad of other conversion utilities.

I'm curious about the DTV statement you made. You're saying I can send videos to a DTV box from the computer by right-clicking on it. What needs to be installed on the PC and how do I set up the DTV receiver to receive it? Sorry, I'm absent some info here...

Thanks!

I will test it again tonight and I will post a help reply. I just haven't had a reason to do it in a while so I do not want to supply you the incorrect steps. =)

As far as converting all your video for the ps3 and xbox - just see what common codec the have and convert to that format.

• 3 months later...

Hey, not sure how you went with this PS3 Media Server will do what you need for the PS3. I have been using it for over a year on my Desktop pc and it has never had any issues playing any files, I totally recommend it.