RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

RAID Expansion

pcdoc

Recently decided to change my RAID array from a 2 array configuration to a single large array. I had a 5x2T=8T volume and a 3x2T=4T volume on my Highpoint 2680 controller card. As you know, a RAID 5 uses 1 parity drive for each array so this configuration would basically use 1 parity drive for each array for a total of 2. This means I would be giving up a total of 2x2T drives for parity. By making one large array I would have only 1 parity drive therefor gaining 2T in my total storage. After I deleted the smaller array, I used the drive expansion capabilities of the 2680 and changed the 8T into a whopping 14T single volume in one step. The 8T was 90% full and the process went without a hitch. Adding 3 drives at a one time took about 35 hours in high priority setting and still allowed me to use the server for my needs during that time. Overall I am pleased with this method and the performance is actually a bit faster than with the smaller volume. Here is a summary of the results I got when I finished.

raid14texpansionafterpa.jpg

filemnagerfreespace.jpg

raid14tatto.jpg

raid14tcrystaldiskmark.jpg

With the price of drives not likely to come down anytime soon, a wise and thrifty decision.

Good point. I have a few spare drives but not more case room so I had maximize what I have.

Consolidation will be the name of the game for awhile. From what I have read, WD will have the hardest time because of their OEM contracts at the old prices so it looks like the average guy (no pun intended) will make up the difference.

Nice to see that the 2680 works flawlessly. I 5x2T=8T volume which has around 2T free...I will probably just add a drive to this in the future. Sadly, I don't have any spare drives for expansion at the current time...I do have five 2T drives available for the Lian Li 503 that I will be receiving tomorrow...I plan on backing up the HighPoint 2680 array at this point for offsite storage.

Nice to see that the 2680 works flawlessly. I 5x2T=8T volume which has around 2T free...I will probably just add a drive to this in the future. Sadly, I don't have any spare drives for expansion at the current time...I do have five 2T drives available for the Lian Li 503 that I will be receiving tomorrow...I plan on backing up the HighPoint 2680 array at this point for offsite storage.

Look forward to hearing about you experiences with the lian li. Hopefully prices and supply will return in the next 2-3 months and you will be able to add the additional storage if you need it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Giuseppolino87
      By Giuseppolino87
      Hi everyone, today I wanted to install esxi 6.7 to try out the various functions, my question is the following, I have a server where I have installed esxi in an SSD and I have two other 4 tb disks so 8 tb total.  I would like to make sure that when I create a virtual machine in this case I will install the various virtual machines in the SSD and use the two disks for data.  So how can I do this?  Thank you very much for those who can help me.
    • E3000
      By E3000
      Looking for a quick answer here from someone in the know...

I upgraded some of the internals of my Gen8 server and at the same time I did a BIOS reset as I had forgotten the password that I had set years ago. When booting back up the upgraded hardware was detected and fine but I received Error 1784 - Drive Array - Logical Drive Failure. I believe this is due to a setting change in the BIOS and not anything hardware related. I have gone into IP/SSA and see the array needs to be rebuilt. I had all drives configured as single RAID0. It says all data will be lost if I reconfigure this but I remember reading somewhere on here that the data will be fine if I reconfigure as RAID0.

I do have a backup of course, but it’s not a high availability mirror and will take some time to get back the way I had it, so just want to know if it’s safe to reconfigure the RAID0 without erasing the drives. I have tried pulling the drives out and connecting them to another PC and they are fine. Can anyone tell me which options to choose to get these back to normal and remove the flashing red light?

Thanks 😶
    • Dave
    • Dave
      By Dave
      The SDM R4 is SOLD OUT!

The SDM R4 is a bracket that facilitates mounting two additional 2.5″ drives in a HP MicroServer Gen8. There are also mounting holes for fans across the bottom to help cool RAID/SATA cards. The kit includes all the fasteners needed to install.

With optional Stackers you can run four 2.5″ drives on the SDM R4. The SDM R4 will support four 9.5MM 2.5″ drives. If you want to run four drives on the SDM R4, you need to order SSB stacking brackets listed below. One set of SSB per drive pair, four drives will require two SSB kits. Because of the size of the SDM R4, if you are going to boot your server using the internal USB port, you will need to use a USB stick that is shorter than 1″. For more information on mounting instructions look here: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5960-hp-ms-g8-25-drive-bracket-revision-history-new-rev-35-and-rev-4-info/?p=137922

The SDM R3.5 is in stock and ready to ship!

The SDM R3.5 is a bracket that facilitates mounting one additional 2.5″ drive in a HP MicroServer Gen8. The kit includes all the fasteners needed to install.
      With optional Stackers you can run two 2.5″ drives on the SDM R3.5. The SDM R3.5 will support two 9.5MM 2.5″ drives. If you want to run two drives on the SDM R3.5, you need to order SSB stacking brackets listed below. One set of SSB per drive pair. For more information on mounting instructions look here:  http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5960-hp-ms-g8-25-drive-bracket-revision-history-new-rev-35-and-rev-4-info/?p=137922

SSB-9.5 for 9.5mm drives $10

Schoondoggy Stacking Brackets can be used to stack two 2.5” drives. All screws are included

SSB-7 for 7mm drives $10

SOC-MSG8-R1 kit for 9.5mm optical drives to latch it in place. Screws included $9.

The SDM R4 is SOLD OUT!

• Mark Belanger
      By Mark Belanger
      Greetings,

I'm new to the HPMSG8 world and so far I'm loving it. I have a stock Xeon with 16G of aftermarket memory with iLO patched to 2.70. Next up is adding a RAID card, so I can put my boot SSD on the onboard RAID. I picked up a LSI SAS9211-8i on Amazon, but am struggling to flash it to IT mode on the MicroServer. Is this even possible? Unfortunately, the only other system I have with PCI slots is 32-bit.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

-MB