RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
pcdoc

RAID Expansion

pcdoc

Recently decided to change my RAID array from a 2 array configuration to a single large array. I had a 5x2T=8T volume and a 3x2T=4T volume on my Highpoint 2680 controller card. As you know, a RAID 5 uses 1 parity drive for each array so this configuration would basically use 1 parity drive for each array for a total of 2. This means I would be giving up a total of 2x2T drives for parity. By making one large array I would have only 1 parity drive therefor gaining 2T in my total storage. After I deleted the smaller array, I used the drive expansion capabilities of the 2680 and changed the 8T into a whopping 14T single volume in one step. The 8T was 90% full and the process went without a hitch. Adding 3 drives at a one time took about 35 hours in high priority setting and still allowed me to use the server for my needs during that time. Overall I am pleased with this method and the performance is actually a bit faster than with the smaller volume. Here is a summary of the results I got when I finished.

raid14texpansionafterpa.jpg

filemnagerfreespace.jpg

raid14tatto.jpg

raid14tcrystaldiskmark.jpg

jmwills

With the price of drives not likely to come down anytime soon, a wise and thrifty decision.

pcdoc

With the price of drives not likely to come down anytime soon, a wise and thrifty decision.

Good point. I have a few spare drives but not more case room so I had maximize what I have.

jmwills

Consolidation will be the name of the game for awhile. From what I have read, WD will have the hardest time because of their OEM contracts at the old prices so it looks like the average guy (no pun intended) will make up the difference.

JediTim

Nice to see that the 2680 works flawlessly. I 5x2T=8T volume which has around 2T free...I will probably just add a drive to this in the future. Sadly, I don't have any spare drives for expansion at the current time...I do have five 2T drives available for the Lian Li 503 that I will be receiving tomorrow...I plan on backing up the HighPoint 2680 array at this point for offsite storage.

pcdoc

Nice to see that the 2680 works flawlessly. I 5x2T=8T volume which has around 2T free...I will probably just add a drive to this in the future. Sadly, I don't have any spare drives for expansion at the current time...I do have five 2T drives available for the Lian Li 503 that I will be receiving tomorrow...I plan on backing up the HighPoint 2680 array at this point for offsite storage.

Look forward to hearing about you experiences with the lian li. Hopefully prices and supply will return in the next 2-3 months and you will be able to add the additional storage if you need it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• TakiBot
      By TakiBot
      I've got my hands on a HP N40L.
      Can i use raid 1+0 on my 4 2TB WD RED or only 1 and 0.
      Thanks for the help.
    • arefiev.dm
      By arefiev.dm
      Hello! I put P222 on my Gen8 server, but I can not use RAID6. Can someone share the key?
    • rayb0rn
      By rayb0rn
      Hello,

I have recently found the time and energy to set up my Microserver. 
      HDD BAYS:
      1.4tb
      2.4tb
      3.4tb
      4.4tb

Could someone please confirm if there are any issues with Creating a Raid 1  array with BAY 1 (6Gb/s) BAY 3 (3Gb/s). My logic is that speed of data access takes precedence over mirroring speed so 1 logical drive of Bay 1 & Bay 3 (Raid 1) and the other logical drive of Bay 2 & Bay 4 (Raid 1).

Is this a good Idea or I have I overlooked a potential technical issue. I searched the web for a possible answer but nothing came up.

Thank you.

• marty_oc
      By marty_oc
      Hi guys, this will be quite long, so be warned :-D

I run Microserver Gen8 for several years now. I have one issue which happens on any cold boot (swich off the server, then switch on; no need to remove power outlet). 
      My config is following:
      * Linux Debian operating system
      * SSD in optical drive bay connected to SATA intended for ODD, intended as main system disk holding Debian Linux
      * 3.5" HDD in bay 1 used as single drive
      * 3x 3.5" HDDs in bays 2-4 used in software RAID 5 (mdraid, no LVM)

To be able to boot from ODD SATA connector holding SSD with Linux, I needed to configure booting from integrated RAID controller and configure my SSD as one-disk-only RAID0 array. This works perfectly - I configure this logical volume in storage administrator and set it as bootable and server boots perfectly. I can see the SSD as /dev/sde and I can access it directly, it is seen by the system as regular SATA connected HDD. 
      Upon coldboot, HP RAID configuration is lost. If I boot from Debian Rescue disk (I have one permanently in iLO SD card slot), I can still see my SSD as /dev/sde and I can access all the data with no issues. When I open HP Storage Administrator and go through creating new array consisting of the SSD only, data is not lost and after setting it as bootable I can boot again without problems. 

So what now? 
      I have a backup plan that would consist of using SD card in iLO slot as boot drive that would hold just GRUB and will be able to hand off all stuff to my SSD. 
      However, I would like to find out what is wrong with the HP RAID controller. Is it me who is stupid or just the controller does not support this unusual config?

Ideas, anyone? 
    • mikoyoshi
      By mikoyoshi
      Hey Guys,

i have .. i don't know its a big problem or a small bug but i do not see a single HDD in my Raid Controller..
      But as soon as I attach a SSD to my ODD port, it will be displayed. Can anyone explain to me?

I hope someone can help me

German Guy 

Miko