RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Audible Recommendations

jmwills

I heard Dave mention he was interested in what we were listening to from Audible. Dave, if you are interested in History and Military History in particular, you can not get much better than, "With the Old Breed at Peleliu and Okinawa" by EB Sledge. If you remember the HBO miniseries, "The Pacific", this is one of the three books used to write the screen play.

The other two are, "Helmet for My Pillow" by Robert Leckie and "Red Blood-Black Sand" by Chuck Tatum. I have both Sledge's and Leckie's material in digital and hardcover (I felt I owed that much of my heritage to those two men) but for me, Sledge's book along with "China Marine" are excellent reads.

Throw in most anything for Stephen Ambrose for good measure.

• Like 1

Slightly off topic of Audible books -- Naval History magazine has an excellent entire magazine devotion to Dec 7th that just came out.

This would be the 70th anniversary. Good for me......there should be some really good specials coming down the pike.

I finished listening to World War Z by Max Brooks. Now I am about 4 hours into the book, Ready Player One.

For history, I'm not sure if these are audible books, but the two most recent books I read were "Death Traps: The Survival of an American Armored Division in World War II" by Belton Y. Cooper and "Eastern Inferno: The Journals of a German Panzerjager on the Eastern Front, 1941-43" by Hans Roth. Both books were by soldiers that were in the battle and their personal experiences. The Easter Inferno book was really good as the guy lived on the front lines of probably the most ruthless front in the war.

• 2 weeks later...

These are some of my favorite audio books I've listened to in the 3 years I've been an Audible platinum subscriber. Some were from Thurrott/LaPorte recommendations. Listed in order of most favorite:

A great trilogy by Stieg Larsson:

"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"

"The Girl Who Played with Fire"

"The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets’ Nest"

"A Short History of Nearly Everything" (abridged version) read by the author Bill Bryson

"Freedom" by Jonathan Franzen

"Ghost in the Wires" by Kevin Mitnick

A two-book series by Daniel Suarez:

"Daemon"

"Freedom™"

"Idea Man" by Paul Allen

"The Master Switch" by Tim Wu

"Legacy of Ashes" by Tim Weiner

"Damascus Gate" by Robert Stone

I also like

"A Short History of Nearly Everything" (abridged version) read by the author Bill Bryson

Others...

Brain Rules By John J. Medina; Narrated by John J. Medina

Most of us have no idea what's really going on inside our heads. Yet brain scientists have uncovered details every business leader, parent, and teacher should know - such as the brain's need for physical activity to work at its best. How do we learn? What exactly do sleep and stress do to our brains? Why is multi-tasking a myth? Why is it so easy to forget - and so important to repeat new information? Is it true that men and women have different brains?

Einstein By Walter Isaacson, Narrated by Edward Herrmann

Why we think it's a great listen: You thought he was a stodgy scientist with funny hair, but Isaacson and Hermann reveal an eloquent, intense, and selfless human being who not only shaped science with his theories, but politics and world events in the 20th century as well. Based on the newly released personal letters of Albert Einstein, Walter Isaacson explores how an imaginative, impertinent patent clerk became the mind reader of the creator of the cosmos.

House to House By Staff Sergeant David Bellavia with John Bruning Narrated by Ray Porter

In one of the most compelling combat narratives ever written, Staff Sergeant David Bellavia, an Army infantry platoon leader in Iraq, gives a teeth-rattling, first-hand account of 11 straight days of heavy house-to-house fighting during the climactic second battle of Fallujah. His actions in the firefight, which included killing five insurgents in hand-to-hand combat, earned Bellavia the Bronze Star, the Silver Star, and New York state's highest military honor, the Conspicuous Service Cross.

The Pillars of the Earth By Ken Follett Narrated by John Lee

Why we think it's a great listen: Got 40 hours to kill? You'll find the time when you start listening to Lee's take on Follett's epic - and widely celebrated - novel of 12th-century England. The Pillars of the Earth tells the story of Philip, prior of Kingsbridge, a devout and resourceful monk driven to build the greatest Gothic cathedral the world has known...of Tom, the mason who becomes his architect - a man divided in his soul...and of the beautiful, elusive Lady Aliena, haunted by a secret shame....

World Without End By Ken Follett Narrated by John Lee

In 1989 Ken Follett astonished the literary world with The Pillars of the Earth, set in 12th-century England. Readers and listeners ever since have hoped for a sequel. At last, here it is. Although the two novels may be listened to in any order, World Without End also takes place in Kingsbridge, two centuries after the townspeople finished building their exquisite Gothic cathedral. The cathedral is again at the center of a web of love and hate, greed and pride, ambition and revenge.

Out of Captivity By Marc Gonsalves, Keith Stansell, Tom Howes, Gary Brozek; Narrated by Mark Deakins

In Out of Captivity, Gonsalves, Stansell, and Howes recount for the first time their amazing tale of survival, friendship, and, ultimately, rescue, tracing their five and a half years as hostages of the FARC. Their story takes you inside one of the world's most notorious terrorist organizations, going behind enemy lines with vivid and haunting imagery.

The Tipping Point By Malcolm Gladwell Narrated by Malcolm Gladwell

In The Tipping Point, New Yorker writer Malcolm Gladwell looks at why major changes in society happen suddenly and unexpectedly. Just as a single sick person can start an epidemic of the flu, so too can a few fare-beaters and graffiti artists fuel a subway crime wave, or a satisfied customer fill the empty tables of a new restaurant. These are social epidemics, and the moment when they take off, when they reach their critical mass, is the Tipping Point.

What Your Childhood Memories say About You By Kevin Leman

What are your earliest childhood memories? Were you afraid of the dark? Can you remember a particularly embarrassing moment? Those memories - along with the words and emotions you use to describe them - hold the key to understanding the person you are today! Drawing on examples from his own life, the lives of celebrities, as well as case studies from his private practice, renowned psychologist Dr. Kevin Leman helps you apply these same techniques to uncover why you are the way you are.

A Briefer History of Time By Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow Narrated by Erik Davies

Stephen Hawking's worldwide best seller, A Brief History of Time, has been a landmark volume in scientific writing. Its author's engaging voice is one reason, and the compelling subjects he addresses is another: the nature of space and time, the role of God in creation, the history and future of the universe.

Blink By Malcolm Gladwell Narrated by Malcolm Gladwell

In his landmark best seller The Tipping Point, Malcolm Gladwell redefined how we understand the world around us. Now, in Blink, he revolutionizes the way we understand the world within. Blink is a book about how we think without thinking, about choices that seem to be made in an instant, in the blink of an eye, that actually aren't as simple as they seem. Why are some people brilliant decision makers, while others are consistently inept?

Lone Survivor By Marcus Luttrell Narrated by Kevin T. Collins

In June 2005, four U.S. Navy SEALs left their base in Afghanistan for the Pakistani border. Their mission was to capture or kill a notorious al Qaeda leader. Less then 24 hours later, only one of those SEALs remained alive. This is the story of how team leader Marcus Luttrell, the sole survivor of Operation Redwing, and the desperate battle that led to the largest loss of life in Navy SEAL history.