RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Scary Flashing Red & Blue hard drive light bars - MX470?

miker

Hi. I'm a newly active member, but have listened to your podcast almost from the very beginning. You guys do a super job.

My trusty MX470 is running with Power Pack 3 installed, has all four drive bays filled, and I have aprox 1TB free space according to my system console. It runs with only 512k memory, so it is pokey.

Ok, so my current problem is really scary. Several times now I've found the MX470 with all four hard drive light bars flashing alternately red and blue. It makes for quite a light show, but is oh so unnerving.

When I try to connect using the Console, I am first told that a connection with the server cannot be made, and on the second attempt I get the console up, which shows no indication of problems at all. In both instances, I've powered down the server and when I powered it back up it was as if nothing at all was wrong and the server functions perfectly - at least until the next episode of flashing hard drive light bars.

I've read the manual's troubleshooting tips section, but don't find this. Do any of you mavens have any idea what I'm up against?

Many thanks... miker

It could be the drives recovering from a data issue. I have had a similar issue on my Acer h340 after power failures. If you are getting it on a regular basis I would suggest installing one of the hard drive monitoring addins and see if they pick anything up. If I had to guess I would say that there is a hard drive issue and it is regularly trying to repair it.

That was my first thought as well. Try the SMART add-in or the disk management. They're pretty good. Have you tried looking through the event logs as well?

Thanks for both replies. I'll try the Smart add-in and report back on results. Can you tell me where I'll find the event logs? I appreciate the help, guys!

Ok, So I've got the SMART add-in installed. Very impressive, by the way. The only indications of problems I see on first review are yellow caution signs for the first two disks (out of four) that they are operating a little hot. Maybe I need to clean out the dust over the vents and place the serve where it will get more air circulation? But do you think that hot operation could cause the scary lights? Other thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks again, guys. mike

I don't think that minor heat would cause it. If it's at 70C or over then maybe. For even logs, the easiest way is to remote into the system, right-click my computer->"Manage" and the even viewer should be listed there.

I remembered reading this a while ago (http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/whssoftware/thread/94288385-3a99-4e36-bf56-34971757736a)
Maybe it is just a quirk, if the reboot fixes it then it may just be the same thing. I have seen this reported elsewhere as well.
I dont think you should just dismiss the issue as there may be more going on but it is food for thought.

Thanks, usacop2k3 (unusual handle, does it have a meaning?) for the pointers on the system logs. i'll check them this evening and let you know if I see issues.

Thanks, also, Luke. the ms forum thread must include six or more users of WHS with this problem, all of them running an HP rig. I think my next stop will probably be a call/email to HP.

I'll let the gang here know what progress I make on my scary issue. mike

PS. you guys are the best...

So, USACOMP2k3, I'm into the server using remote desktop, and have found the manager computer - events logs. Going thru the logs, I see occasional errors noted, which are hard for me to interpret. I'm going to try escellating this directly with HP Support and see what sort of response I get. I'll keep you guys informed.

mike

Ok. I've been educated. HP is just not very interested in me or my problem. Seems the EX470 is out of warantee and they don't even take an question by email. I've posted the issue on their forum, but a lot of the posts in that forum never get a response.

As an aside, I've been thinking of replacing my WHS, but have been holding out for the release of the new generation (Vail?). Maybe I have to give up on this generation and go with the EX49x series.

mike