RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Virtualbox addon for WHS2011?

Drexlock

I've read a lot of posts about installing Virtualbox on top of WHS2011 but has anyone come across an addon that integrates Virtualbox into WHS like how Hyper-V is into Server2008 R2?

I'm running Server2008 R2 at home at the moment and was thinking of moving over to WHS2011 for the DLNA and Backup features. My only big hitch is I have a few VM's running in Hyper-V (Minecraft server, OpenVPN, Torrent server, Sparkleshare) and really cant go back to living without them. The best feature IMHO of Hyper-V is the intergration of VM launch and shutdown with the Host system which is sadly lacking in my knowledge of Virtualbox. I was thinking with the wide variety of Addons for WHS v1 and 2011 someone must have though of a Virtualbox Addon that brought some of that functionality to Virtualbox and WHS but I have yet to find one that does.

Not that I've heard of. I can think of several ways of getting it to happen. For example, a batch command automation tool like WinBatch could be run at startup by a scheduled task, and it could start up VB (and feed keystrokes to it if needed).

Not that I've heard of. I can think of several ways of getting it to happen. For example, a batch command automation tool like WinBatch could be run at startup by a scheduled task, and it could start up VB (and feed keystrokes to it if needed).

Thanks ikon, I think my big worry is with shutdown. I know you can automate a VM to launch at boot but what about when the host shuts down? In Hyper-V you can set a VM to Save state or shutdown when the host machine shuts down but can you do the same with VirtualBox? Since it technically is a desktop virtualization tool I'd imagine it wouldn't have this type of fine grain control (at least not form what I've found so far).

Thanks ikon, I think my big worry is with shutdown. I know you can automate a VM to launch at boot but what about when the host shuts down? In Hyper-V you can set a VM to Save state or shutdown when the host machine shuts down but can you do the same with VirtualBox? Since it technically is a desktop virtualization tool I'd imagine it wouldn't have this type of fine grain control (at least not form what I've found so far).

Ah, that's a very different story, and a very good question. Thinking about it, I would think the VB programmers could have written it so it will save state and shut down the VM when it receives notification from Windows that it needs to stop. Have no idea if they did or not.

Ah, that's a very different story, and a very good question. Thinking about it, I would think the VB programmers could have written it so it will save state and shut down the VM when it receives notification from Windows that it needs to stop. Have no idea if they did or not.

I tend to think that VB is coded to do just that as from what I've seen no one looks at shutdown, usually only at start at boot. But I wanted to make sure before I put on a few VMs and found out that they got corrupted because of not shutting down properly or affected my servers shutdown in the event of a power outage.

Yeh, I think shut-down of the host impact is a dirty little secrete of VB. A add-in that would enable graceful shut-down in Win7 and/or WHS2011 would be very useful and save a lot of #($)@&!.

Yeh, I think shut-down of the host impact is a dirty little secrete of VB. A add-in that would enable graceful shut-down in Win7 and/or WHS2011 would be very useful and save a lot of #($)@&!.

Are you saying that VB doesn't gracefully shut down when Windows is shut down? That would be unfortunate indeed.