RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New SSD User - Installing applications

Dave

I have finally jumped onboard the SSD train and am enjoying the speed of my new 128GB drive. (actually, my second drive, the other one is in my HTPC) I made a few adjustments to save some space and have a 1TB 7200 RPM drive as my data drive.

I'm now faced with the task of re-installing all my applications that I use and I've found myself constantly checking the free space of my new SSD. I'm a miser now!

My list of applications is a long one but in typical re-load fashion I'll go as long as I can without installing them to see if I really needed them. I guess the big ones are Office and my Adobe stuff. Soundbridge, LIghtroom, Photoshop, etc. These are apps that I would love to see pop to life with the SSD speed yet they consume so much space.

I was just curious if you guys got the same feeling with your first SSD and how you chose to install the applications. I've already created a Program Files directory on my data drive to install a few things. LastPass, etc.

Are you a SSD miser?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• pcdoc

• ikon

• Joe_Miner

Guest no-control

yes!

SSD contains

Office

Adobe CS

winblows Live essentials

WHS connector

RSAT

And whatever trash installs from other programs put there without asking. Right now I'm at 92GB used of my 120GB drive

Everything else is on a spindle drive.

As a user of a 64GB SSD for a couple of years, I find myself constantly checking my free space.

For good reason though, for example when I updated my windows phone to mango, zune made backups to the Appdata folder on C:\.

it worked out to about 4.5GB that I couldn't account for until I went poking around looking for it.

I try to install any app that is going to be in startup to the SSD. Games and large applications I install to a 10k raptor drive and they still open pretty fast.

I have a 64Gig drive too and do tend to watch what gets installed on it.

My stategy is to put anything I use often on the SSD (Office, Adobe Reader) along with media intensive stuff like movie maker, streaming applications for iPad

The rest go onto a Raid 0 array using two 7200 rpm 1TB drives

I have installed all apps except for games and bench marking utilities on mine. I have a 120G with 56G free. Of course the index is off, and the pagefiles was restricted to 2G and I moved my temp (system and internet) to the D drive.

I have a 111GB Revo in my Win7 box. It's about 2/3 full. I only install things on it that I think will really benefit my experience by being able to load really fast; everything else goes on a spindle drive.

I have installed all apps except for games and bench marking utilities on mine. I have a 120G with 56G free. Of course the index is off, and the pagefiles was restricted to 2G and I moved my temp (system and internet) to the D drive.

I am planning to rebuild my recent HTPC build over the weekend so I really appreciate all the pointers about setting up a system with a SSD

I put two 120 GB SSD's in Raid0 and put all my apps on the SSD's. If I didn't do that, I wouldn't want SSD's. I have used 101 GB's of 214 GB's.

I am planning to rebuild my recent HTPC build over the weekend so I really appreciate all the pointers about setting up a system with a SSD

Sorry for the late response. HTPC's is one of the easier ones as you typically only have one drive and maybe one for recording. The only I would do is kill the indexing and limit your pagefile to 2gigs. Leave everything else alone for the main operation and just move your recording destination if you are recording.

Sorry for the late response. HTPC's is one of the easier ones as you typically only have one drive and maybe one for recording. The only I would do is kill the indexing and limit your pagefile to 2gigs. Leave everything else alone for the main operation and just move your recording destination if you are recording.

Thanks!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Rodf
      By Rodf
      I'm looking into replacing my desktop's old, failing HD with an SSD. I've got a Dell XPS 8700. I've look up the configuration on Dell's website, entering my machine's service tag (DK49122). I've found the component which is listed as:

KPF74 : Module,Hard Drive,1T,S3,7.2K,5 12E,#1,G-BP INFO,1ST BOOT,HARD DRIVE HD,1TB,S3,7.2K,512E,SGT-GRDABP  
      I know it's a 1 TB drive. It looks to me like it's a SATA III drive. Am I correct? 

Assuming I've correctly identified the drive, then I've found what looks like a good replacement part on Newegg which is listed like this: SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series 2.5" 1TB SATA III V-NAND 3-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-76E1T0B/AM

So, have a got a good replacement SSD for my machine's old HD?
    • xelent
      By xelent
      Hi there,

I've just gotten my old Proliant server out from mothballs recently to use as a Backup controller for my photographic archive. It's specs are a standard G840 2.8GHz Dual core with 16 GB of ram installed with a standard 350 watt PSU. I'm running WSE 2019 with 4x1TB HDD's installed in the 4 bay drive cage. 3 drives are formatted to RAID 0 in WSE (not embedded HP RAID) and one drive acts as the system/boot drive.

The server is surprisingly responsive given its age, with LAN transfer speeds between 84-94MBs. So has pretty much taken center stage in my backup control between my  external drives and 4x1TB RAID 0 NAS.

However, I have been wanting to attach a 256GB SSD boot drive for my OS, so that I can utilize the full capacity of my 4 bay drive. It seems that the BIOS will not let you boot any HDD/SSD off the spare SATA connection on my MB. Anyway I am hoping to eventually attach a PCIe USB 3 card to that. But in the meantime I would like to boot a separate drive other than the 4 bay one already installed.

I gather that you can install a PCIe SSD card on this machine. But it's not clear to me as to what kind of card and drive would be suitable for this server. I realize that my MB is PCIe gen 2, which will incur diminished speed compared to the latest gen 3 MBs. But should I be using NVMe or SATA m.2 drives? Or does it even matter? Also will the BIOS allow me to boot from this drive?

Thanks for taking the time.
    • Karazzi
      By Karazzi
      Hi everyone.

New to this forum.
      I have a gen8 microserver running at home, where I have installed an SSD in the ODD sata slot. On the SSD I have installed Ubuntu Server 18.04.
      I have then created a logical volume witht the raid controller and can then boot to the SSD. So far so good.
      My problem emerges when I reboot the system. The logical volume disapears and it gives the error: "boot logical drive is configured but is missing or offline".
      I then have to go into the utility and reconfigure the logical volume. Kind of annoying, when trying to run a headless setup.

• Al_Borges
      By Al_Borges
      the selection and quality of the windows 10 store apps   has taken a turn for the better in the last few months

Software publishers have started to load in their win32 apps  in the Store

The big one is  Itunes  of course.    I dont use Itunes per se but a program I use ( mediamonkey)  requires it to be installed to sync to Ipods and Iphones

The big advantage of loading in Itunes this way  is that it leaves behind all the other crud  ( apple updater, Bonjour etc) and just does Itunes

But there are several others that I have used and can recommend.  In some cases the author asks for a small fee for the program via the store.  but you can install on any  of devices hooked into your account and updates are handled thru the MS update process

Paint.net  a solid paint/photoshop type program.  Very good program that I have used for many years.    This is the program that should have replaced MS Paint, rather than the POS  Paint 3D

Libre Office   full featured office suite -  fork of the openoffice project  solid program  more like MS Office than the google office suite.  One of my daughters went to school using this and wrote her PHD thesis with it.  

Irfranview  Lightweight handy image viewer/editor.     I have used this program for over 20 years !!!!     If I need to just crop or lighten an image to paste into another document,  this is what I use.   

Inkscape   open source Vector drawing program -    similar to Adobe Illustrator  and visio     dont use this program often  but  since visio isnt part of the standard office 365 package,  a good program to have loaded up 

Autodesk CAD Mobile    Dont confuse this for a full featured CAD program , but for viewing and marking DWG files or creating simple CAD profiles,  this free program works fine

Please feel free to pass along other useful items you found in the windows store

• Laris
      By Laris
      Hi all,

Now I share my extreamly mod for your reference